Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Greasy front brake disc, please help.

Discussion in 'Technical and Troubleshooting Torque' started by adslyrie, Jan 22, 2008.

1. I've got this '00 Yamaha xvs650 for 2 months now. The previous owner rarely rode it, like once every few months. The problem is, the front disc is greasy, moist, with brake dust mixed and builds up in the disc holes. The braking force is not as good as it suppose to be!

At first i thought the previous owner sprayed wd40, to keep the disc from rusting cos he rarely rode it. So i took the pads and callipers out, washed everything down with soapy water.

A few days later, i saw greasy streaks building up on my disc again. I've got no idea where the grease is comming from. I've bought the calliper seals kit and brake fluids to change the seals. I checked the calliper pistons, they are bone dry and i am not losing brake fluids! Its full to the rim when i take the cap off.

Has anyone experience this? Does brake pads soak up grease (wd40) then release slowly onto the disc even after i've washed them?

This problem is really on my nerves, any advice is appreciated.
  2. Forget the soapy water and go to an auto store and buy a spraycan of proper brake cleaner and give everything a good spray (just be careful not to get it on any painted surfaces).
  3. Ho hum - this is easy.

Have a look at the fork seals - one or the other will be leaking. The oil runs down onto the caliper assy and then onto the disk.

If this is not happening now it happened before. You need to remove the wheels and thoroughly clean the muck out of every hole in the brake discs. Then wash the discs with a degreasing solution, followed by sudsy water.

Then replace the brake pads. Once they have been oily it is well nigh impossible to clean them - every time you brake you will be putting the same oily dust back into the holes in the disc(s).

All the best

Trevor G
  4. Thanks for the replies guys.

The forks are in good condition. I guess my best bet is to replace pads first, then see if the problem persists. The only thing holding me back is that they are 80% new! (didnt want to spend the $ if i didnt have to) :grin: I never knew that oil can soak or damage brake pads.
  5. Yes, and once it's in there you can't get it out. Even if you clean the surface, it's still there in the structure of the friction material. As soon as the pads get hot again it comes to the surface and you're back where you started.

Back in the days of real asbestos linings attached to the brake shoes with rivets, you could sometimes get away with pointing a blowtorch at them for 20 minutes, which would burn the oil out fairly effectively, but I really wouldn't try it with modern, bonded linings.
  6. metho spirits mate!

cleans and evaporates!

(but repalcing the discs is a good idea too)
  7. :? :-k Huh?

If it's not the brake caliper seals and the fork seals are good i.e., there's no trail of fork oil down the forks, then where is the oil/grease coming from??

Unless it was a past event where the pads soaked up oil of some kind... ? :-k

If oil is truly not leaking from anywhere, your pads are toast. Replace them.
  8. Centrifuging out from a dud wheel bearing seal?
  9. I think you are right. I couldn't locate the oil leakage at all. Checked the forks, wheel bearings, brake piston seals, nothing else around there really.

Bought a new set of pads today, hope this is the end of greasy disc.

Thanks for the feed back guys.