Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

grease or oil? I cant tell! Any help please~

Discussion in 'Bling and Appearance' started by dje, Jan 16, 2006.

1. I recently checked out a 2nd hand VTR firestorm to buy.
    There was either grease (from the chain) or oil built up and around the kickstand. Couldnt figure it out exactly but I figured it was oil because I coudlnt see how so much grease from the chain would kick off to that point.

Anyone heard of anything like this before?

I know the chain lube used was 'shell' brand which I know is a bit thin so excess grease spits all over the place making rim polishing a chore.

Any input would be appreciated as (apart from that concern) im very interested in buying it asap.

dje :)
  2. it will be chain oil , mixed with dirt , and crud etc
    mine does it all the time when i go a bit stupid on the chain oil .
  3. well my kickstand was spotless.

when i got it back from the 24k service, it looked like greece had been
    packed into the top end of the kickstand

they put heaps of the shit on it.. :?
  4. Meh, mine's got some oil around that area but that's only because I regularly oil the kickstand pivot so that it moves freely (but don't clean that part of the bike often enough). Suggests that at some point someones over oiled this part and it's built up a layer of accumulated crud - should clean off okay and probably nothing to worry about if the rest of the bike checks out okay.
  5. Thats one big lube job ( grease / greece )
    :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:
    if you have any thats about 18 years old left over kishy , can i borrow it
  6. Definenetly chain lube.. I stuck my hand in some when I was helping put my boyfriends tempremental side stand down! Amazing enough Dettol wipes removed it :) Engine oil tends to puddle on the ground but chain lube flicks on the stand/rear wheel.

7. :LOL: :LOL: Give me a break.. Ok its GREASE. look at the time im posting :p

mustve been thinking of some 18yo wog @ work when i was posted that
    msg :LOL:

& yes, when ive finished with her, u can borrow my leftovers :p :p :LOL:

im going to bed :idea:
  8. Mechanics will regularly put a big dollop of grease on the pivot point of a sidestand when it's being serviced, so most likely it will be grease. Either way, it's nothign to worry about.
  9. np mouth

any reason why they put so much of the stuff there?
  10. Yep, so it slides down easily, but more importantly, so it flips up with the minimum of rider input. Don't want you riding off with your sidestand at half mast, especially if your first corner is a left-hander....
  11. with my bike, unless the stand has been lifted to horizontal position
    the engine turns off when its put in gear, so thats not an issue. i'll
    have to ask em when i get my bike back off em again bc i dont like
    it, esp once dirt etc gets on it. i like my bike spotless
  12. I had to use a stick to gouge out all of the junk that was stuck in our storm. The gunk gets stuck forward where the chain heads towards the front sprocket and it traps all kinds of stuff. Yes, a big stick is all I need :LOL:
  13. Your boyfriend asked you to fix his bike?
  14. Rim polishing is easy.... go to mitre 10, buy a spray bottle, and buy some Kerosine and put it in the spray bottle...

Spray on Kero, wipe with cloth.... the grease will just fall off..... Try not to get too much on the tires (Kerosine doesnt affect rubber, but it may be slippery)...

Give the rims a quick wipe with a soapy rag and spray off with water....
  15. No, I was helping him put the side stand down...thought I said that :p

He has a "suicide stand" which flicks up as soon as weight is taken off it. We were on gravel and I was putting a block of wood under the side stand..but you have to HOLD the side stand in place until weight is put on it..its a pain in the butt.
  16. He rides a Ducati, and now simply sits on the bike and sip's latte's whilst the pillion biatch puts the side stand down for him, as well as all the servicing and maintenance.

At $800 to replace a regulator, I want a cute woman to be on her knee's doing all the hard work whilst I sit nearby enjoying the view and sipping a latte too.

:LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:
  17. 50 posts to go, Jason! :LOL: