Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

grease/lube for both axles and chains?

Discussion in 'Technical and Troubleshooting Torque' started by chokpa, Jul 19, 2010.

1. Hi All,

Can't find any specific threads on axle grease so I was wondering if the same lube (grease, wax etc) is used on both the axle and the chain(and anything else).

Is this right?

I just got a bike so I need to pick up a bit of everything. Chain cleaner/lube, axle grease etc

Any brand recommendations would be welcome.I'm thinking of using WD40 for lubing and cleaning the chain..
  2. Chain lube - use proper chain lube. Do a search to see comments about brands etc - there is a lot about it already on the forum.

If your chain is o-ring then avoid wd40 to clean it, use kero.

If you are looking at pulling the axel out and regreasing it then you need a long lasting waterproof (resistant) high temp grease. I am not sure what type of grease would be best for it though.
    I am not sure why would need to re-grease this though. It's not a periodic maint thing, should be done when the tyres get changed, but other then that you shouldn't need to touch it.
  3. cheers, yeah lots of info on chain lube so i'm not worried about that.

I pulled the axle out to change the tire yesterday, so I want to re-grease it befor einserting it again