Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Gravity rides everything. (Dropped it)

Discussion in 'Your Near Misses - A Place to Vent' started by Yawhae, Sep 12, 2012.

1. Put my bike down while pulling up at a stop sign.

I was having a bit of a ride around yesterday afternoon and had to fill up the bike before I got to keen. Shortly afterwards I rode up to an intersection with a fall to the right. When I came to a stop I put my left foot down as usual and the bike started falling to the right. As this happened I put my right foot down to counter it however I must have got some oil on my boot because as soon as I planted that right foot on the ground it slipped like ice across the asphalt.

After picking my sorry ass self off the ground and feeling all stupid I looked at my boot and sure enough it was covered in oil.

The tiny oggy knobs did very little to protect the bike and it didn't land very hard as I took a lot of the weight as it fell but I'm not so happy on the scratches on the lower fairings and pipe.

Can anyone give me some advice on how to better ensure I am stopping correctly?
  2. Every-one will crash,just make sure you have full gear on all the time,it will hurt less.
    • Like Like x 2
  3. Not sure if serious or joking...
  4. Maybe roll up to the lights a little slower and put both feet down at the same time. Also, avoid the white lines - they are slippery as all fark.
  5. I've already learnt that lesson. (The hard way.) Now I wont step outside without all means of protection I posses. Better safe then injured, injured then dead.
  6. Here we go again.
  7. You might have a point on coming up a little slower, it should give me more time to adjust to the road and brace myself better. I knew it was a matter of time before it happened and yeah the paint wasn't a factor this time.
  8. Are you referring to someone new posting a question on the forum?
  9. careful where you step?

i once picked my cbr up from a honda dealer and they failed to install the crank case end cap properly... it came off and i rode 40km home with oil mist covering my boot... and the back tire. realised something was up when i used the back brake to slow down coming off the highway and nothing happened... oil had covered the disk.... only realised it was oil when i got home 2 blocks later and put my foot down and nearly dropped the bike...
  10. Petrol stations to have boot cleaners installed alongside air & water?

11. push the left bar forward as you come to a stop, just like countersteering for a left turn. That will encourage the bike to lean to the left rather than to the right.

practice it a few times in your driveway before doing it in traffic until you get the hang of it.
    • Like Like x 2
  12. Oh no, someone on a forum is posting their experience. He dare they!? Especially considering that this is the forum for it!
  13. Don't put your feet down :D It's hard at first but I can balance for about 10secs without moving. Looks pretty impressive too.
  14. That makes sense. One to add to my list of tips, thanks.
  15. He's referring to the atgatt debate. Now leave it alone everyone.

Blabs - I feel that your humour is lost on this crowd.
  16. Just learn to stop normally. The issue here is that you probably stood in oil or whatever when pulled up at the servo or at the lights. Keep your eye out in both scenarios for any oil, fuel etc that you might stand on. Don't drive through or walk through it at the servo and if it looks like spilt water, still treat it with suspicion and avoid it (or if you find you've parked in it, smell and feel your tyres to check it's just water). Sometimes you have to park oddly by the fuel bowser to do this. When you put your foot down at the lights, especially in the wet, be ready that it might be slippery. NB well that putting your foot down in the middle of the lane means putting it down where oil most likley might have dripped from idling cars. Simple stuff. Just keep your eyes open. Sometimes a person gets unlucky, too.
    • Like Like x 1
  17. U wont do it again anyway
    And if u do
    Give Up
  18. Hmm very helpful.

As far as your dropping the bike is concerned, and your question.
    (Been there, done that!)

the_blackes advice is very good as it mattb's (and several others)

Sounds like there was quite an angle on the road. Not sure whether this applies to your situation but, you may notice that often some roads slope quite heavily down towards the gutter. In these cases the centre of the road often has less camber (tilt) on it so positioning yourself on that side of the lane rather than the gutter side can help.

Dropping the bike in such situations (assuming traffic is stopped) usually hurts your pride more than anything eh.
    • Like Like x 1
  19. I did this same thing. The difference is that I allowed the bike to become unbalanced by turning sharply to straighten up. The bike dropped very slowly and awkwardly, I couldn't hold it up. Perhaps it was because of the fact that I was riding a Rocket III at the time and it was full to the brim with fluids. I also picked it up :D I learned that day that you should pick a line and stick with it, don't maneuvre too much at really slow pace, especially when riding a ~300kg monster.
  20. Yeah,it seemed like de ja vu.
    Excuse me for sniggering at people who thank ATGATT at the time of a 0Kmh off.
    • Like Like x 1