Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Grandfather Alert

Discussion in 'The Pub' started by Petesul, May 10, 2014.

1. Looks like it is going to happen to me this week! Feel like stealing Ness' idea and run with "Grandfather New to Intermediate!" (thanks Ness for the inspiration).

I've seen the new baby pillion discussion, nobody has discussed gear, helmets, colours, either pink or blue.

Your advice would be appreciated. And, like all posts on this forum, you don't have to be an expert or grandparent to give your expert opinion.

• Like Like x 3
  2. No expert in kids Pete but I would like to offer my congratulations. Something to keep you occupied while you can't ride. Your duty as grandparent is to subtly and not so subtly push the motorcycling is great message. ;) All the best to you and your soon to be extended family
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. Thanks Chris. I realise I will be able to post a pic here when the time comes as posting in "A photo from your ride" doesn't really fit the bill!
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. Something I did for my first grandchild ( now have 4) was take a photo of him going on a ride on the bike, in a race car, in the front seat of a plane and heli, at a strip club, and in the pub.
    They will be brought out at his twenty first. Lets see him make sure he has done more in the next twenty years.
    I did all this with him before he was a year old.

Make it worthwhile, and have fun.
    Playing blocks and lego is more fun thatn you remember!
    • Like Like x 1
  5. Congrats on the expanding family Pete, Christmas mornings will never be the same again! :)

6. Good point. Something else to look forward to.....
  7. Welcome to the club……I have four of the little critters.
  8. Congrats mate. They are great fun, get you into places like fire stations ,drivers cabs on trains and places they
    just don't let old farts go by themselves. The other good thing is when they cack their dacks or throw up you just hand em back and forget it.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. Congrats Pete! :woot:

In August I'll be a father for the first time, so I'll "only" have another ~13 to ~40 years to go before I join the grandpa group, depending on how well I bring up the little takka. ;) If she turns out like her mother and me, she'll be close to 40 by the time she makes me a grandpa...
  10. The only advice I can offer is that you have probably forgotten all the good stuff you learned while bringing up YOUR kids, so be prepared to start learning again with grand-kids :LOL:

But congrats, I've got a 4 year old grandson and a 2 year old grandson, and they are a delight.
  11. Just enjoy em!
  12. Comgratulations, Pete. Almost endless entertainment ahead. Rediscover your inner child. And keep the new one away for hot bike parts while you share your joy with them after a ride.
  13. Start them young and he"ll love you for it.

• Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  14. His mother and grandmothers may never, ever speak to you again. But, hey ...?
  15. Don't panic.

After all, it's not like you can fail.
  16. The best thing about grandchildren, unlike your children, is that you give them back at the end of the day. Mostly that is, doesn't always work.
    • Like Like x 1
  17. Visited son and daughter-in-law this arvo. Great girl! If she stumbles and falls, she'll need somebody to help her up as her arms and legs won't reach the ground.
  18. Gees mate, hip surgery for a young bugger? What have you been doing to yourself? At mid 50s, I still go for long runs and everything still is OK!
  19. And with one on the way @danny_tb@danny_tb, is it making you rethink ride risk taking? (not that you probably take risks haha)