Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Grand Ridge Road on a GS500?

Discussion in 'Roads, Touring, Journeys, and Travel' started by Chollima, Nov 16, 2009.

1. Has anybody ridden the Grand Ridge Road, a tourist road in South Gippsland, Victoria? If so, do you think it's feasible to do this on my own on a GS500 as a meandering tourist ride (going slowly and stopping lots for photos).

The tourist info says (for a cage) allow 5-6 hours for 132kms, so the road isn't good!
    A couple of info links are here and here if interested.

2. I haven't ridden it (yet), but I have driven it several times and I would say it would be a most excellent road to take your bike along! The reason it is slow is because it is fairly narrow and curvy and is unsealed in parts. Also tourists are expected to admire the views all the way throughout.

If you are planning to go the entire length, be wary about some of the more remote parts. The road is not very travelled and it is covered in bark in places. There are potholes and ruts from the logging trucks. If you're careful though, I would say it is very worthwhile. It is certainly something I plan to do one day soon!

3. I've done it on a VFR800, it is rough in spots but passable. You are well out of contact along sections of it though so if possible travel with others or leave a message for someone to come looking for you. It would take a long time to walk out. :)