Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Graduating from scooter to bike

Discussion in 'Bike Reviews, Questions and Suggestions' started by Argonaut64, Dec 11, 2014.

1. Hi everyone,
    Bit about me: 50yo male, 79kg and 170cm. Been riding a piaggio fly 150 every day for nearly three years, it's been great for getting around town but now looking for something I can take on the highway.
    Budget is likely under $5000.
    Chose the scooter because I have a bit of a back issue and reckon anything that requires me to be too hunched over for too long would get uncomfortable. Pretty conservative rider and just after some advice for a good reliable bike.

2. Do u want 40kws or 120kws ?
    Ninja 650, street triple, sv650/1000
  3. Welcome Argonaut, Anybody with physical limitations on the type of bike I generally point at http://cycle-ergo.com/ it will give you an idea of the seating and crouch position based on your height and various bikes.
    • Like Like x 1
  4. Try the Suzuki GS500 or Kawasaki ER-6 or Yamha FZ-6.....test ride as many as you can
  5. welcome aboard:] as for the best bike for your situation reviews and test rides
  6. Do you have a restricted or full license? Have you ridden anything other than your scoot?

There's a lot of bikes under $5000, and most will be reliable if in good nick and looked after. Gs500s are cheap, plentiful and reliable as a brick. sv650s are similar and more fun. The bigger trailies (klr650, dr650, drz400) will do everything comfortably except long distance highway work, and have very upright seating.

A <$5000 budget points you towards used private sales, but that doesn't mean you can't visit a dealers and try out a bunch of styles to see whether the ergos work for you.