Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

VIC Graduated licencing system

Discussion in 'Politics, Laws, Government & Insurance' started by spongesam, Aug 23, 2006.

1. see http://www.arrivealive.vic.gov.au/c_youngGLS_1.html

not really sure how this will effect a bike licence...

but the general gist of it...

L's, obtainable at 16 still...
    if under 21 and getting learners, u must be, over 18 and have held learners for min 1year.

then, u get P1 (red P's)... for 1 year, same restrictions as current P's, but you're not allowed to use handsfree mobile kits or tow anything.

then, u get P2 (green P's)... for THREE3333 years, same restrictions as above, minus the handsfree and towing.

what this means, is that:
    say, i'm 16... i get m L's, i can't have more than 5 demerit points over the course of a given year, until i'm 22. Can't even just have 1 beer then drive home til i'm 22... etc etc...

my opinion...

i think the P1 should be allowed at 17 and 6months, ever 17? but have a passenger restriction (1 passenger at most at any time), then at 18, have regular P's for 3 years as normal.

and maybe make THAT the green P? in vic, a green P will stand out heaps more than the typical RED P.
  2. Point 1: I think it's great that they're looking at ways to ensure young adults are more appropriately educated and prepared for road travel, but I'm not sure this is the way I'd go about it.

Point 2: refer to my signature.
  3. I'm of the view that while on probation or even learners, that demerit points shouldn't apply. As it used to be originally, ANY offence during these periods meant an automatic cancellation of the licence. This would entail the offender having to go back onto "Ls" once more for a brief period before getting the licence back.

Because of this, quite a few people that I knew weren't off their P plates til they were into their 20s. (back then P plates were only required for the first year).

The zero alcohol law is a good one, too. Perhaps the government should consider raising the legal drinking age to match that of the "00" age. It may or may not curb some of the problems related to excessive alcohol consumption that we see daily.

Of course, me being waaay past these age periods may be seen as an "I'm alright Jack", that I've climbed the ladder and pulled it up behind me. But it's a problem that's only getting worse. Nightclubs that are open all hours, 7 days a week only encourages this.

Getting back to bikes, a graduated LAMS should be considered. In another thread here a fellow who's currently on a 250 is either considering a ZX10 or a Blackbird for his next bike. I would dare to suggest that this leaves him and other riders who jump off 250s onto unlimited bikes with the prospect of becoming a Ulysses member in the laps of the gods - or more likely, due to pure luck.

Again, it's my view that you get your learner's permit. You're allowed to ride certain classes of bike. You then get your licence, following some sort of competancy based evaluation. You're allowed to progress to another level, again commensurate with experience and skill, to another class, until finally you can demonstrate that you're not going to kill yourself in the next few days following the purchase of that R1 or ZX10.

And the same sort of concept should be applied to 4 wheeled vehicles too.

It's a complex problem, both politically and logistically. And it means that the public servants that we pay a lot for to deliver services have to get off their arses and do some real work and come up with a workable system.

The anti-hoon laws are based on reactionary rather than pro-active decisions by our law makers. If attitude is addressed early by convincing kids that acting like an idiot on the road is uncool or "fully sick - NOT" or whatever vernacular that kids use these days, maybe that'll start to address the problems. Or maybe it won't.
  4. From the Vic Roads Website
  5. they've taken a leaf out of the NSW licensing system with the green p and red p's.

Its good to see them thinking and changing the system, however how will they enforce stuff like the 120 hour practice diary?

Just hope their parents/friends/guardians don't lie about the logbook or force people to do 120 hour's worth of lessons?
  6. Hi all,
    holes in the new legislation will place riders in jeopardy.
    Victorian laws will stop p platers from using any mobile phone while driving but holes in the legislation will allow them to sort through the ipod.
    placing riders in jeopardy of being involved in a bingle with a newby .
    A p plater should firmly have his or her task firmily focused on safe driving.
    Other issues to the argument P platers will drive with no more than one peer in the car other than family but they dont recieve a lower rate of registration for their vehicle,
    It seems fine to kill as many members of your own imediate family bizzare!
    This law has not been in step with the IT race and has many holes in it your thoughts please?
  7. Laws always lag behind reality. Yes I agree that MP3 devices etc should also be banned but difficult without saying you can't change radio stations or CD's etc. "Driving in a manor dangerous" should cope with this if people are weaving over the road beacuse of distraction.

With regard family as passengers I think the argument is that family is "supposed" to be a moderating influence, peers are not.
  8. I would supect the "family" exemption is also to cover the situation where a P plater is the only means of transport, eg: a young person on P's with 2 brothers / sisters.
  9. If any driver is playing with an ipod and failing to maintain control of the car and they crash, veer out of a lane, etc, then there is already an offence.

Strangely enough, "Fail to maintain proper control of vehicle."

There is no loophole, the mobile offence is just more specific.
  10. I'm with you on this, skorpion....

It pee's me off that the response from most people is to call for the banning of this and that, especially when there are already laws in place to cover most situations....grrrr
  11. Am I being the only one to ask the question?

WTF has this got to do with 'Graduated Licences'?

I know that P Platers have new restrictions on them, but what has that to do with graduated licences?
  12. +1, people no longer have to drive the drunk cop around the block to get their ps, nor do newbie drivers have it easier then their counterparts. F**ing idiots that aren't familiar with technology or can barely breathe are more of a challenge then p-platers. Everyone remembers the p-plater but not the five f**heads who cut them off previously.

(Oh, and I drive a 4wd occasionally....)

(And am no longer a p-plater)

13. Big story about 40k fines for drunk drivers .But half down these another little gem

$40,000 fines loom for drunk, drugged drivers
    May 1, 2014 - 11:
    • Read later

Drivers caught behind the wheel while drunk and high could face huge fines of nearly $40,000 under Victorian law changes aimed at battling the state's road toll.

The new laws, set to be introduced in State Parliament later this month, will also see drivers who are intoxicated on alcohol and drugs lose their licence for a year and have their vehicles impounded.

A first offence will hit hard, with fines tipping past $4000, while repeat offenders could face a maximum fine of $38,977 for driving on booze and drugs, depending on the number of previous offences.

Roads Minister Terry Mulder says the new laws will take effect by mid-2015 and make the state one of the first jurisdictions in the world with a separate offence for driving on both drugs and alcohol.

Currently, Victoria prosecutes drivers with separate charges of either drink driving or driving while on illicit drugs.

"This is going to hurt," Mr Mulder said of the new fines on Thursday.

"We will not tolerate people who have no duty of care to other motorists on the road and are prepared to drive with a cocktail of alcohol and drugs and put other road users at risk."

The latest road safety research has found drivers with alcohol and drugs in their system are 23 times more likely to be killed in a crash than others, he said.

Drivers caught for the first time with a blood alcohol level of 0.10 or higher will also lose their vehicles for a month under another law change, which could also take effect by mid-2015.

Currently, only repeat drink drivers recorded with that reading or higher lose their vehicles.

There will also be toughened graduated licencing rules for motorcyclists, beginning in October.

Motorcyclists will have to wear a high-visibility vest while in the learner phase of the program and take a new on-road test, among other changes.

Mr Mulder said he was shocked to see how easy it is to get a motorcycle licence after he passed a test with a limited amount of training.

"No way was I ready to do that, nor were a lot of other people who were given licences on the day," he said.

The proposed changes come as experts from around the world have gathered in Melbourne for the Towards Zero road safety conference.

While Victoria's road toll continues to fall to record lows, more than 5500 people are seriously injured on the roads each year. Many battle through years of therapy and face a lifetime of medical problems.

Freg Wegman, an traffic safety expert at Delft University of Technology in the Netherlands, said it's important to recognise the injury rate after such success in reducing the number of road fatalities.

"Strategies to reduce fatalities might be different than strategies to reduce serious injuries," he said at the conference.

Mr Mulder said about 8 per cent of road deaths that involve alcohol also involve drugs.

• Like Like x 1
  14. High Vis, it just gives the Cagers something to aim at!!
    • Like Like x 1
  15. #15 MOS, May 1, 2014
    Last edited: May 1, 2014
    The proposed changes are on the Vic roads site
    Hi viz on L's and 3 years of restrictions on fulls rather than 1

edit: There's also some changes listed for 2015 but no real details, although they appear to be more do do with the structure of training and testing rather than just additional and longer restrictions
  16. Yeh, foot in the door for Hi-vis.
    Nothing to do with bikes or hi vis, but how in hell do gummint expect to be able to collect $40K from the average druggie driver?
    • Like Like x 1
  17. #17 mainstage, May 1, 2014
    Learner riders today ..tomorrow ? Thin end of the wedge my friends . I can see the press release now.
    • Like Like x 1
  18. Last few lines are good -

These changes will not be retrospective and will therefore only apply to riders who receive their leaner permit
    or licence after the introduction dates for the new scheme.

So if you know someone who has been putting it off tell them to go and get their L's now.

Cheers Jeremy
    • Like Like x 1
  19. In hindsight campaigning for the last 3 years about how drivers aren't seeing us through stop SMIDSY was always going to lead to this. Shame on us for believing it could go the other way.
    • Agree Agree x 2
  20. #20 titus, May 1, 2014
    Yes it's a convenient excuse no doubt. But nobody (to my knowledge) has made reference to research that hi-vis will make any difference.

Edit. Actually I might take another look. It appears that the Hi-Vis is for L-plate only.
    Now I don't believe that it will make learners more visible (necessarily) but I do think it might help to identify them as less skilled and competent road users to those drivers that do see them. Which might be useful. Would be better if it had a big 'L' on it though.