Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Graduated Licence increases LAMS bike values?

Discussion in 'General Motorcycling Discussion' started by rcheli32, May 23, 2014.

1. The graduated licensing scheme means people will be on LAMS bikes for longer, doesn't it? So I'm wondering if the extended duration will translate to more demand and stronger resale values for LAMS bikes....?

2. I think it's done the opposite, when it was only a year very few people could be bothered too spring for a new bike as they were only going to have it for a year. More new bikes puts less competition on used values,
  3. Means more people are more likely to look at new.

That means more second hand bikes out there....
  4. if restrictions go from 1 year to 3 years, then there will be a void of 2 years worth of learner bikes that needs to be filled.

at $6K for a Ninja300 or CBR250, 7-8K for CB(x)500(x) etc, there is always room for second hand bikes around the 3-5K mark, but if the choice was a lightly used bike for $5K or a new one for $6K.. not hard to justify springing the extra for a shiny new version.

prices seem buoyant in NSW for LAMS bikes already, and I reckon is likely to firm prices of and hand ones in VIC also. in a couple of years, there will be more newer 2nd hand LAMS bikes available, and prices may drop a little
  5. Going to be interesting times. All the current crop of owners of LAMS bikes will be off restrictions in the next 12 -14 months. The new leaners will have a choice of a 1 year old or new that they have to have for 3 years. In 2 years it will be a different story again.

I suspect they may be slightly more going for a new bike if they have to have it for 3 years. Then again we could see far more people changing bikes when they are on restrictions. Ie start on a 250 of some sort and then move up to some of the 500/650 LAMS bikes.

What will happen to the likes of the KTM 390, sort of in the middle of the bunch.

Going to be interesting to watch me thinks.

Cheers. Jeremy
  6. Hmmm, good points about the increased justification to buy new when you'll be owning it for three years....
  7. This...
    I got a 2nd hand ZZR as I only need to do 1 year of P's (elderly person in NSW ;) ) (though I may still upgrade in the meantime)

But if I had to do another 2 years of restrictions, I'd still have gotten second hand for first 6 months to 1 year in case I dropped it (haven't come close yet, no thanks to everyone telling me I would :p ), and then get something a bit more capable and likely new for the next 2 years. or 2nd hand but near new...
  8. #8 Gooza, May 24, 2014
    Last edited: May 24, 2014
  9. I figure it might increase demand temporarily for second hand bikes if people are trying to get licenced before the licences changes come about. I sold my LAMS bike today less than 24 hours after I put it up for sale :)

More people might swap their bikes during LAMS and might be less likely to look at high mileage second hand ones? Right now I know a lot of people often just buy the cheapest non shit LAMS bike that will last them 15 months rather than something new and shiny.

I don't know what I would have done personally. Probably would have been unlikely to buy new until I decided riding was for me, but probably would have wanted to change bikes before three years were up. Glad I don't have to worry about it.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. If nothing else, the move to a graduated system will definitely see a rise in demand for faster (and quality) LAMS bikes, like the CB400. The CB remains one of the best sellers in Japan for the same reason.
    • Agree Agree x 2
  11. Cb400 remains one of the best sellers (in Japan) because of registration and insurance concerns/laws.

Their value seems to dropping with newer LAMS models in Aus. Which I find hilarious as it is a far better bike than the cbr500 or ninja300. Ridden both but I could be biased.
  12. It'll certainly be interesting to see how the market moves 15-18 or so months in to the new license restrictions... At the point where the current crop of learners are off their LAMS and all new learners are subject to the 3-year rule.

Back in the 250 restriction days you basically either bought a dirt bike, CB250 or a CBR250RR (or maybe an RS250 if you had a death wish). Most of the guys I rode with had CBR250RR's and dealers were selling ~ 1992 (in ~ 2002) grey imports for $7,500. If I had to guess, I'd say we probably won't see a return to that sort of pricing given the much broader range of stock available under LAMS... Only time will tell.
  13. When they introduced the LAMS scheme in NSW there were dire predictions that the price of 250cc bikes would plummet and that there would be a glut of new 250's as everyone would get 'bigger' bikes. Well the GPZ250 remained the biggest selling new bike until superseded by the Ninja 300.

Will this latest law change make a difference? I wouldn't think so...
  14. Certainly when they introduce the new laws as NAK said you will see a massive increase in the average power and CC's of LAMS bikes sold i think. If i had to purchase a bike for 3 years i would've increased my budget and the power i wanted quite significantly and as a result would most likely not have gotten a Cb125e for my Lams period.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  15. I'm not so sure - In NSW you are restricted to LAMS for 2 years (I think) and the bottom hasn't fallen out of the 250cc and under market.
  16. what new laws/restrictions are being introduced? and when?
  17. L's 3 months
    red P's 1 year
    green P's 2 years
  18. Relax it is for us lucky Victorians
  19. Graduated Licence system, extends the period of LAMS restrictions for Victorians.
  20. So it's 3 years here, which proves my point more so.

When I got my license, over 30, full drivers license, L's for under 3 months, full license.

Then when my son got his, at 16 and 9 months, L's for 3 months, P's for 12 months, full license. Beaut.