Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

GPZ900R open heart surgery and project thread.

Discussion in 'Modifications and Projects' started by typhoon, Apr 25, 2010.

1. Well, I bought this bike off a friend, been looking for a half decent GPZ for a while, and I've always liked the blue and silver ones.
    So, it needs a new starter clutch, this is buried deep inside the engine.
    A couple of months of procrastinating later, I dug in. Found it much easier to remove the engine with the bike upside down.
    I'm amazed how advanced these engines were for a 1984 design, Kawasaki really did rewrite the books with these engines. When they were released, Kawasaki made just about every other motorcycle engine outdated overnight.
    But anyway, a picture tells a thousand words, so here are four thousand carefully crafted words!

Regards, Andrew.
  2. Some elbow grease:
    The bike is in great condition under the dirt, glad I bought it now!

Regards, Andrew.
  3. Good project, and an unusual approach to engine removal :wink: I've tipped bikes on their side before, but never "inverted". Did you see what I did there? Top Gun reference? Get it? Tom Cruise, GPZ900?? Geez I crack me up sometimes.

Anyway, I have a bit of a soft-spot for these bike too, seeing as they killed-off my personal favourites (and current rides) CB900/1100F. Either one of these or an 1100 Katana will be my next project, so I'll be watching your progress with interest.

Good pick up there.

4. No, he was man. It was a really great move. He was inverted.
  5. Upside down Miss Jane?

Cool project bro (y) . Are you planning on doing a standard restoration or some kind of unique redesign in the process?

6. Stock resto with some mild engine work. I love all the innovation on them, 16" wheel, liquid cooled etc, shame to mod it all.
    If I came across a cheap one in poor condition, I'd go crazy on it. ZRX front end etc. Guys were getting 130-140 reliable hoprspoerw out of them back in the day, that would be fun, owning an old 80's bike that'd hang with new stuff!

Regards, Andrew.
  7. I have an '84 bike with a 16" front wheel (18 rear) and liquid cooling as well

Lets be friends :)

Plus theres always the option of cosmetic mods.. keeping the old school feel but still making it look unique.
  8. well. yeah. Perhaps you could do something about that 16" wheel :wink:

Not *all* the innovations stood the test of time. I'm reminded of the "air-assisted" forks on my own bikes, that is now quite happily disabled. There's a difference between "innovation" and "fad", and that seems to rely on whether or not the particular modification continued for a reasonable length of time. In both these cases, I would suggest they were more of a fad.

Still a cool bike.
  9. Yeah, I agree some things didn't work out, but it's all about those things adding character to the bike. It was all about trying new theories, pushing the envelope, that's what is cool about older machinery, experiencing what was the latest idea of the time.
    If it looked, rode and went like a modern sports bike, I'd just buy a modern sports bike.
    If a modern sports bike oozed cool and sounded as awesome as an 80's inline four through a glasspack muffler, I'd buy one!

Regards, Andrew.
  10. They had a long model run, if I remember correctly the later ones had 17's on the front?
    Could be wrong though.
    Are 16 inch tyres a limited selection nowadays?
    Had a couple of mates with 900r's when they were new, god I wanted one,
  11. I'd be ditching the 16" front wheel for sure. Apart from the fact that tyre choices are extremely limited (ask anyone who owns an early Honda Hornet), they are quite unstable on less than perfect roads and diabolical if you should ever decide to ride on a gravel road.

Oh, and LOVE the Mr Squiggle reference, Dragon!
  12. Seriously, who rides a road bike on gravel roads? I'm not building a dual sport here and I've ridden road bikes more than enough on gravel roads to know it's not the tyre, but the rider. In fact, I rode a 300m gravel driveway for two full years on a bike, and a 270kg fully faired tourer at that.
    Tyre choices? I can choose Battleax or a couple of Avons, and that's just brand names. I don't need a choice of 30 different tyres and compounds.

Regards, Andrew.