Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

GPZ550 or different

Discussion in 'Bike Reviews, Questions and Suggestions' started by dub, Sep 22, 2008.

1. I just looked at what was advertised as a 1982 GPZ550, when i got there I expected exhausts either side but was surprised to see only a single exhaust (RHS).

Does anyone know of the difference between all the models (GPZ, KZ etc)? Are there any other identifiers to make sure it's really the GPZ? I would like to restore it, but just want to be assured it is what it is supposed to be.

2. Very common on the early Kawasakis to find a four into one exhaust fitted, for a few reasons. The stock mufflers tend to rust pretty quickly, and the air cooled Kawasakis really favour a four into one exhaust for performance.
    A KZ will be a totally naked bike with a squarish tank, the GPZ's have a more rounded tank that drops down at teh rear/sides more.
    The GPZ has a Uni trak rear suspension too I think.
    Look at the compliance plate for teh answer.

Regards, Andrew.
  3. Thanks, definately a GPZ then.
  4. It's a GPz.

Aircooled = GPz
    Liquid cooled = GPZ

5. Poster said the bike was an 82, GPZ's were air cooled then.

I think there was one year of liquid cooled GPZ's, then they changed to teh Ninja?

Regards, Andrew.
  6. GPz / GPZ

Quote: It's a GPz.

Aircooled = GPz
    Liquid cooled = GPZ

Is this the same for the GPZ500? I've seen it written as both GPz and GPZ but mine is water cooled.

Apart from the 50cc what is the main difference between the 500 and the 550?

7. Cool - thanks mate!