Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

GPz250 stalls and needs bump-start

Discussion in 'Technical and Troubleshooting Torque' started by TrenShadow, Mar 4, 2005.

1. Hi all,

My little baby seems to be running better than it ever has before thanks to recent home servicing and reshimming the exhaust bolt on points, however there is one little problem that is rather annoying.

Starting up first thing in the morning is usually fine. On particularly cold mornings it might take a couple of goes before it fires into life, but no real problems here. When it warms up and I turn the choke off, it idles around 1,500. Pulling away from being stopped will usually cause the engine to stutter and die back a bit, so I've gotten into the habit of a couple of quick throttle blips just before I'm going to take off to kick it past the flat spot and have it revving around 2,000 before increasing revs for the takeoff. Occasionally, the bike will stall as it goes through this flat spot, in which case a quick hit of the electric starter and all is good to go.

However, 3-4 times in the last 2 weeks, the thing has stalled at lights (engine was warm with choke off), and the starter hasn't come through with the goods. I've had to walk the bike off the main drag, find an incline and try a jump start - not much fun when you have shirt, jumper, winter jacket, neck warmer, helmet etc all on cos its a cold morning :evil:. Obviously I'm getting the benefits of learning how to juggle clutch, throttle, front brake while trying to run next the bike and jump start it, but I'd really prefer not to have to exert myself this much :p

Seeking opinions on what could be wrong :) Both on why I've got a flat spot and the cause of stalling, but more importantly, why the starter won't go - I can hear the thing trying to turn over, but it sounds/feels like flat battery, just won't actually kick it into life.

Thanks in advance :)

2. The obvious thing is that your battery is probably dying. Give it a full charge, check its output, ride the bike around to see if the problem persists, recheck the charge and then buy a new one.

3. Don't just assume its the battery. I had similar problems with the Duke at the start of the year. Had the battery on charge to see if that was the problem....no. Rang the mechanic and he said if its not the battery it may be the solenoids. Turns out it was an earthing problem with an aftermarket sidestand switch bypass I had fitted ages ago.

:D :D :D

4. I haven't actually been inside the inner working of a bike, but take it from someone who has experienced every possible failure of starter motors, solonoids and batteries... there's a lot of possible faults that can seem similar...

Please explain?

5. did your service include changing the spark plug?

Also check you mixture screw. Getting them right will help that off idle stutter.

The battery could be exagerating these as the alternator would be charging pretty hard if the battery was particuly flat.