Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

GPZ250 Belt Drive Project

Discussion in 'Modifications and Projects' started by T4Tom, Jan 25, 2012.

1. Hi all,

I've recently bought a GPZ250. It's a 1985 model and needs a little bit of work. ok, there are actually two that I have and between them I'm hoping to get one going well enough.

I'm planning on getting up to a reasonable condition to take out on some nice rides and just have a bit of fun with it.

I have a few questions and was hoping to get a few suggestions.

The engine has been sitting for a while and I've heard the the fuel goes off when it sits like that.

I cleaned up the plugs and put on good leads so it will start and run every time, idles ok. but as soon as I try to use the throttle it dies.

Any suggestions on what I could do with out having to rebuild the whole carbies?

2. Here's some pcs of it when I first got it.

3. This is how I found it.

4. After a little but of a clean up.

5. did you throw out the old fuel, clean the tank thoroughly and clean the carbies? do the fule lines need replacing due to age/cracking etc?
  6. I did throw out the old fuel and rinse out the tank, would say it was thoroughly.

I'm not sure how to clean the carbies. I used a bit a carby/injector cleaner fuel additive.

Is it hard, How do I go about cleaning the carbies?
  7. I spent a little bit of time today cleaning up the rims.
    they started out like this

After a bit of work they look like this