Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Discussion in 'Bike Reviews, Questions and Suggestions' started by ricomac, Jan 1, 2006.

1. Hey

Happy New Year to all.

I didnt realise that the 6k new price for the GPX is a cut price. I think it was 8k before? A lot of you guys had said buying a new 250 is a waste of money. But I was thinking at that price with some riding gear maybe thrown in it doesnt look too bad. As I am short I like the low seat height.

Have had a look at the second hand market and the only ones in NSW are quite old or high ks. I'd fancy a zeal but there are no good ones around.

So am I crazy to buy a new 250 considering the above?? Appreciate any comments!!
  2. Sure you're crazy... but for other reasons :grin:

I was very tempted myself. They're a good bike at a great price. Only things that was said to me that put me off was 1st bike you're likely to drop, dropping a bike will devalue it.
  3. Port80, I'd be interested to know.....did you drop your first bike?

Some say its a myth and others say everyone does it.
  4. I didn't drop my first bike. Sure, alot of people do, but it's not mandatory.

6G's sounds good for a new GPX 250. If you've got the dough, grab it.

You'll lose some value when you sell it - but not too much at that price.

5. i'm a firm beleiver of buying a 250 that is already devalued. they're all old technology and once they hit a certain point, they basically wont go down again unless badly damaged.

but putting the new/old bike thing aside, i think your crazy for buying a 250 in NSW. you have the chance to get a bigger, safer, nicer bike.... take it.

depreciation is a biatch but you're less likely to worry about it if your not sick of the bike in 6 months. theres a whole bunch of great bikes out there under lams, have a good look at them i reckon. the gpx is a good bike, but most of the lams bikes would be much better.
  6. Actually, being Victorian I forgot about LAMs...that's a very good point.
  7. Yep I have been told this about going for a bigger bike. I am just scared of the thought of a big bike so soon. All that extra power seems like a bad idea for learning.
  8. they're not that much more powerful, and top speeds are about the same, they're just a little more grunty where you need it. seriously, nothing to be worried about, they're on the lams list for a reason. they've got very managble power but enough of it to keep you happy for a lot longer. depending on the person/bike, you might be happy with it for quite some time. my GF has a lams legal XJR400 and its a wickid little bike, she wont be upgrading again anytime soon....
  9. Cool. I will have a look through the list Coconuts.
  10. Very true ;) In many cases the actual maximum power is not all that much more than a 250, but mostly they'll be much more torquey, and have useable power across a broader spectrum of the rev range. That is a good thing :)
  11. I have to say though........I am pretty hopeless at the moment. I can drive about in a carpark and just about do the gears. Have been struggling a bit with hillstarts. I actually cant wait to be good at driving the bike!!! Mind you I have only driven one 3 times so far in all.
  12. I've had the spada for 3-4 months now and have used it most work days for commuting. So far *touch wood* no mishaps. Although I know my bike has been dropped by one of the previous owners.
  13. I dropped my GPX250R about 1 month ago... When a guy from my work overtook me on his GPX250R, then crashed right in front of me!

His bike was a write-off... I only lost an indicator :)
  14. My gpx (first bike):
    4 months service.

3 trips to the black spur.
    1 trip out to Yea.
    ~80 trips to work (20 odd k's each way).
    ~10 trips to local twisties.
    Countless exploration and general travelling sessions.

Haven't dropped it in that time, and I ride in a "spirited" fashion, right from day one.

If you're prepared to ride within your capabilities, don't worry too much about dropping it, it can happen but I personally wouldn't plan my purchase around it. By all means, buy a second hand bike, but buy the best second hand bike you can comfortably afford.

15. i was going to bye a gpx at 6k but i got a cbr insted cause i live on a hill and i needed the 4 cilender power but if i lived on the flats and dident ride on the free ways... i would of gorn for the gpx
  16. I dropped my first bike (the GPX250) after two years of owning it. It was in the garage and I nudged it off its sidestand walking past it in a tipsy state of mind (don't drink and walk!) :)

And as of today, I'm now on my second bike - a GSXR600. Is there anything more exhilarating or attention-demanding than riding a new bike home? :grin:
  17. GPX250 was my first bike. I bought it near new - 2500kms on the clock. Immaculately looked after... what a bloody excellent bike. Throw them around like nothing else.

It's first drop was at PI exiting turn 12. Doh! Went wide to get around a panic'd rider, and target fixated into the kitty litter. The somersault over the handle bars when the bike finally dug in was pure circus oz. :LOL: