Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

GPX250R Good for a first bike, anyone had one?

Discussion in 'Bike Reviews, Questions and Suggestions' started by Bluespawn, Aug 23, 2006.

1. Hi all, well this is my fist post all about my first bike.

I'm looking at a 2006 GPX250R, new bike going for 6k. Now normally I wouldn't consider a new bike, expeciallly after reading through the forums, but in saying that, the bike is 6K from 7.5K as it's on special.

I was looking at spending 4k on a 2nd hand bike anyway, so I thought perhaps a few extra dollars on a new bike with warrenty etc might be worth the effort, plus with low km's in a couple of years, I may be able to still sell it for a reasonable amount.

I mainly want something very reliable as I'll be travelling 35km to work and back each day and can't afford to have problems. I am aware that a 250 it's the best bike to travel on the freeway with, but it's only about 17mins of my 45 min trip.

Thanks for any advice guys (and girls)

Oh, can anyone recommend a good club in SA?

oh, here is a link to the bike http://www.rpdata.net.au/cgi-bin/mv...gin=s91145&cur=AUD&option=bikes&condition=new
  2. Wow, sounds like a very similar situation to myself.

I own a GPX250 89 model. Great bike with lots of get up and go even at 17 years old. Mine has a few niggling problems (like reoconditioning the engine and changing the clutch and one cam shaft is gone). However, that's at 17 years old.

You can expect good service out of the GPX250 as long as you treat her right. Follow the service manual. Personally I recommend picking up a second hand bike first off purely because it's likely you'll drop or have an off on it. Which will reduce it's value even if it's still highly useful to you.

I picked mine up for 1700 but for a mid-90's one should be in your price range and as long as it's been maintained, it should be golden until you want somethign bigger.
  3. the GPX is an excellent bike :). I've never had any problems with mine. Don't rule out buying a second hand one though, especially if you expect to be upgrading to a bigger bike in 1yr and 3months
  4. Hi bluespawn, welcome to the forum. The GPX is almost always $6000.
  5. Yep thats what i learned on last year. Great bike and other than throwoing the usual clutch, chain etc at it I had no problems with it.

ALso managed to sell it for 100 bucks more than i got it for after 1 year.
    So did pretty well. Was a 99 model and in good nick.
    They are quite forgiving when learning and light enough as well. Fair tank range and good seating position for someone new to the craft.

Pretty easy to get the fairings off as well if ya want to have a fiddle around.

Best advice is to get a 2nd hand bike when starting out. I personally cant understand why people buy new unless they have money to piss away.
    You lose money as soon as you take it off the floor and will need to worry about running it in etc.
    Only benefit I can see is warranty.

Really dont spend too much on your first bike because you will be surprised how quick you will grow out of it and be looking towards the next step.
    Better to save that little bit and put it in on the next bike.

Take your time and look around. There are always lots of 250s around to consider and just wait til u spot a good one.
    Then ride it for 12 months and sell it for near what you paid for it.
    Who could ask for anything better than riding 12 months for free.....well kinda
  6. If you can afford new, buy new. Go for it. Factory warranty. New bike smell. You know exactly where the bike has been. It's your money. $6K ride away is a good price. $6k + ORC is about fair.

GPX250's are a great learner bike. Uncomplicated and virtually bullet proof. It loves to be trashed and you love thrashing it. I had one... and occasionally think about getting one again for a general run about.

You'll love it. :)
  7. As many have said, looked after, they're bulletproof. Had one for 30,000 clicks, and it's piss-easy to look after and ride. They're fast enough for most in a straight line, and can keep up with pretty much any 4-stroke 250 in the twisties.

Styling is certainly dated, but it has it's bonuses: stationary drops do little or no damage at all. Try saying that with the ZZR. ;)

They have good range and fuel economy (18L tank, generally 4.5L/100km) and comfortable on longer trips (I did a few 600km ones without too many hassles).

Go for it mate - they're a great learner bike, from any perspective. Certainly beats paying $6k for a 10-15 year old CBR250RR!
  8. +1
  9. ditto, good bike, but do not blow your budget, the bike had had minimal changes over the last ten years so hunt around for an older one with low k's and save some money for other stuff. If your are spending some time on the highway consider always using 98 octane petrol. I did this with my gpx 250 and it made a definite difference in the bikes desire to maintain highway speeds.
  10. If you do get one second-hand though, get it inspected before you buy. I made that mistake and have had a fair few troubles with mine.

That said, I adore GPXs.
  11. I got one, 3800k's on clock, 18 months of new bike warranty left - was $4900 +orc
  12. I definitely have to disagree on that point.

Unless your GPX has been tuned for 98 octane fuel, there is no benefit to using it. I tried a few tanks of the stuff in mine and was met with lower fuel economy, poor starting (particularly when cold), stalling and lower performance. I would never recommend 98 octane fuel in a GPX unless you've especially had it tuned to use it.
  13. GPX250's run better on 95 octane than on 91 octane as they are tuned for 95 but running 98 is a waste of time.

The GPX250 and the Hyosung GT250 are the two best bang for the buck buys on the 250 market at the moment.

If you aren't sure about the long term reliability or resale of the Hyosung (and many people aren't), then it's hard to go past the GPX250 for a first new bike.

+2 to not getting an old imported tarted up CBR250RR and getting something recent and reliable instead BTW :)
  14. Thanks for all of your reply's, I would say I think I'll go with the bike. I am really into making sure it's going to be as reliable as possilbe, and that's something you normally get when you know it's new, and your the one looking after it. I could look around for one on the market, but being in SA, there seems to be a lot less in the way of choices with bikes.

So long as it's good to drive on the freeway for a 250 and it's got good fuel economy, then I'm happy with that.

15. Ummm, I was under the impression that you should be looking at 87 octane - and anything more is just being pissed away. On reflection of the manual it says 87 too.

16. I can tell you without premium two-up wasn't any fun at all, especially going from Adelaide to Mannum...

I used to run my Gippie on 91 and it ran fine, but whenever i had to go to Mannum with the missus on the back I'd use 98, and I could definately feel the difference...
  17. Hi Bonkers,
    I got a New GPX 250 in Feb for the same reason!
    I know how its been treated, new warranty, don't have to wory about RWC, or tyre condition.
    The only thing I would say is you will have to cope with the "running in", breaking in the new tyres, and the first service come up fast!
    Down fall is that if you want to keep your warranty you have to have the service done by a kawasaki dealer.
    As for fuel, just use normal fuel! the gain aint that much!

cheers and good luck in your decision!
  18. rather get a zzr because they look better and also the resale value will not depreciated as much as a new gpx.
  19. ???

How so? ZZR's cost almost 2K more.... I see most going for the 4-4.5K mark... Gippies go for $500 to 1k less at most...

I reckon the ZZR's look kinda funny myself tho, they look squished... Like they all got rammed into a wall in the factory or something...

Edit - Another plus for the GPX for learners is the skinny fairings, so if you drop it your only gonna scrape the handle bars, exhaust and maybe a mirror (I'm looking your way now Delusional :p)...

ZZR's won't come away that easy from a drop at any speed....
  20. There are 2 'octane' figures quoted from time to time.

There is the 'pump octane number/rating' and there is the 'research octane number'. The latter is the one refered to in Australia. Regular ULP is 91, Premium is 95 and Ultimate/whatever is 98.

In the US they generally refer to the pump octane rating which is slightly lower than the RON - 91RON is close to 87 Pump octane number. Perhaps the manual is just refering to the US terminology.