Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

GPX250 to GS500F

Discussion in 'General Motorcycling Discussion' at netrider.net.au started by gti130, May 16, 2008.

1. Hey guys, it’s been a while since I last visited this forum so I’ll fill you in.

The last 6 months I’ve been riding a little GPX250 while I have been on my learner’s license. The bike has been great and I highly recommend as a learner bike for someone starting out, it is very forgiving.
    However I have been using the bike as my main transport and this involves traveling 120km per day on highway, something the GPX isn't suited to.
    So, I have been looking at upgrading to something a may possibly keep when on my blacks. What I found is the Suzuki GS500F.

What I wanted to know is does anyone own this bike or has ridden it and can comment on the bike?
    Is it more suited to highways then the GPX?
    What other bikes would you recommend I look at?

At the moment its pure research and if the funds permit I may find myself parting with the GPX.

Thanks in advance for any advice on the matter.
    Leigh

2. Do a search of the garage here on NR. There are a few with the GS.
    Based on what is the GPX not suited to the 120k trip? They'll buzz along at 8,000 all bl00dy day. They love it (and more).
    I cant speak for the GS but will say it wont be twice the bike the GPX is and at 100km/h it will still be buzzing.

You could be better keeping the GPX a bit longer and going for a bigger upgrade later.

3. Yes, the GS is the smarter option if you're going to do alot (especially freeway) of kms. Engine longevity is the main factor, also the GS will be revving lower and feel more relaxed and freeway cruising speeds. More comfy too imo.

4. Yes. Comfort on the GPX at highway speeds leaves allot to be desired.
    Would the bigger GS offer better protection from the environment? E.g wind?

I'm not looking for a speed machine but rather something that’s comfortable and easy to ride.

5. The smartest option is to tough it out until you have your full license and then buy a B-King.

Why waste money on upgrading from one LAMs bike to another one?

6. GS500 is great for freeways, sits under 6000rpm, might be 5500 i can't remember. Anyway, whatever the RPM is at 110kph, it's about where it cruises best anyway.

Of course, you could get a larger front sprocket for your GPX, slower acceleration but it won't be so buzzy on the freeway.

7. If you can get a good GS for a good price then do it. I got mine for $3g cause it had a ding in the tank (it had a tank cover anyway!!).

I did it for the same reason you did, had a GPX250 and later on a VT250 (which sold after a few weeks for the GS, long story....)

I hate engines pinging along on the highway, the GS was definitely much more up for the task.

8. The gpx250 can hum along at 120 quite nicely..... or so ive heard :p

9. Dont bother geting the gs 500, it is a good bike, but you will not get much more of an improvement. Better to wait till off restrictions, then get a better bike.

10. rather than having half the people say no, the other half say yes, how about you go find a GS500F, and take it for a test ride. on a highway.
    see what you think.

then you can decide all on your own :wink: :p

11. OP did ask for our opinions :LOL: :LOL: :p

12. Yeah man, why go from one LAMS bike to another, save more cash, get bigger or more sporty bike.. :grin:

13. If you're after a commuter, I reckon the GS is pretty nigh perfect for you! Heheh, but I'm biased! :grin:

I do 60km round trip to work mostly Freeway.

Why'd you want a F (faired model) tho? They're more exp to insure, and obviously cost a lot more if dropped.

14. GS500 for me - and I have had both

I have had GPX250, took a detour to an FJ1100 (so I know what grunt is) and now commute on a GS500E, with a small after-market headlight fairing. I can't speak highly enough of the GS500 as a lighweight low cost freeway to city commuter. I found the GPX250 just too small for my 5ft 11 height - and it lacked pickup in top gear on the freeway.

15. GS500 for me - and I have had both

I have had GPX250, took a detour to an FJ1100 (so I know what grunt is) and now commute on a GS500E, with a small after-market headlight fairing. I can't speak highly enough of the GS500 as a lighweight low cost freeway to city commuter. I found the GPX250 just too small for my 5ft 11 height - and it lacked pickup in top gear on the freeway.

16. Now that Victoria is getting LAMS I fear that that will become the attitude here (I'm not criticizing you Ktulu, just noting a perspective - and an extension of it beyond what you've said - that I've wondered and worried about). I'm happy with bikes around the 500 - 600cc within LAMS limits and they are definitely a step above any 250, but now I fear the big bikes are what guys will desire to show their status, just as they longed to go beyond 250s previously.

17. I actually wanted a larger bike, because I'm physically large, not mentally.
    6'4" and 90 odd KG, I don't think would go down too well on a little GPX. (I like twins)

You fear it's going to go to the dogs like America? Where the recommended beginners bike is a gixxer 600/750 or an R6?
    THAT, is ridiculous.

18. That's insane! I didn't realise that.
    I doubt it will go like that, but I think there's a cultural pressure to get these big bikes that jump to license losing speeds in an instant. Where does the faster and more powerful thing stop? And the danger (to some at least) is one thing, but also there are wonderful sides to mc riding that are missed when the high-powered thing takes precedence. I'm not saying those bikes are a bad thing, but I'd hate them to be a badge of respect in the way something over 250 currently is; and to obscure how great the average-powered middle-weights are, doing what they are made to do. Currently I don't see myself ever moving above that class.

19. Re: GS500 for me - and I have had both

Drop it down a gear or two. Max power is at 9k-10k Rpm.

I often go for rides holding it around 8-11k rpm most of the time and when i get back to the city and cruise around 5-7k rpm, it just feels gutless.

20. Ive got a GS500f, nice enough but since i haven't ridden anything else i cant compare.

But i would say just hang with the GPX for a little while longer then upgrade to a real bike when you can :p