Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

GPX250 Fuel cap removal

Discussion in 'Technical and Troubleshooting Torque' started by benzx636, Feb 11, 2007.

1. Hey,

I've got a GPX250 which the petrol cap won't open for me at the moment. I've undone all of the bolts on the cap, but I can't seem to get it off.... I'm reluctant to use too much force without knowing if there is anything else holding the thing together.

2. i would say the " lock" is holding it shut

u have undone the bolts. but the lock itself will still be engaged
  3. ring a lock lock smith... he may be able to help

wont cost too much i dont think.. maybe just buy a new second hand tank?
  4. New tank? ouuch expensive. Locksmith sounds good by comparison!
  5. Tank lockd

There is a phillips head srew under all Kllakasaki tank cap assemblys since 1984 ( approx)if u have got the key ,just use lots of lube,u cannot go wrong.
    Keep squirting,jigglingDON'T.USE THE FORCE LUKE!!!!.The screw cannot be beaten.(w/out screwing ur tank)
  6. I was afraid there was something else under there holding the cap on.... Sounds like I'm screwed for the moment...

The key turns about 45deg, and then it starts to get harder, I can continue to turn it through to 90deg, but it doesn't feel quite right? I've sprayed a heap of silicone spray into the lock and all around the edge of the cap opening to try to loosen things up. I'll guess I'll just have to keep trying more of the same.