Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

GPX250 Clutch and gear issues

Discussion in 'Technical and Troubleshooting Torque' at netrider.net.au started by Rockjob, Jul 14, 2007.

1. Picked up a 1994 model GPX250 from the wreckers.
    The current issue that has me a little dumbfounded is the gears. You can change between 1 and Neutral easy.

It just doesnt want to go into second. You hold the gear lever up and roll it and it just doesnt get out of neutral into second. This problem may however be connected to the issue with the clutch.

The clutch isnt set up right. In first with the clutch held fully in, it doesnt roll like it should(like in neutral).
    After i had the bike warmed it and was running, it acted a little better, but still felt like it was in friction point when held in.

I'm guessing i need to make the cable tighter to fix that.
    Could the issue with the clutch be preventing me from changing into second?

Any info is welcome. Thanks

2. kawasaki has a feature called positive neutral finder

the bike will not change into 2nd while stationary

when you are stopped in 1st click up hard and it goes straight into neutral rather than into 2nd

this also makes it harder to clutch start ;)

3. I see, there i was thinking that the bike was stuffed.
    I hooned up the driveway in first and It changed to second, plus the friction point is in the right spot.
    Thanks Johnnie, I feel like a bit of a tool now, but im more happy it works.

4. yep as said also the dragging clutch when cold is very common among gpx / zzr 250's

have fun and safe riding

5. All "wet" clutches have a little drag when the oil is cold.
    If there is still drag after a ride around the block the clutch may need adjusting but it also depends on what oil you're running.