Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

GPX help please........

Discussion in 'Technical and Troubleshooting Torque' at netrider.net.au started by kermit, May 21, 2007.

1. After ceasing my engine me and the old man spent most of the weekend putting in a 2nd hand ZZR engine bought off a wrecked bike with 5000 kms for $1000 and i still cant get the bike to start :( i used the GPX250 Manual supplement downloaded in PDF and as far as i can see i have put everything back correctly changed the oil and oil filter refilled the radiator and checked the usual suspects , everything appears fine on the instruments and the bike trys to start but just wont get there , If anyone is a mechanic in northern sydney or even knows much about bikes im really happy to pay you to come to my place and have a look im sure its something really simple but its doing my head in , im at the point now where im ready to push the bike down the road and say good bye. :cry: :cry: or even if anyone knows of any bike mechanics in sydney that would possibly come to me or pick up the bike for a fee

2. check for
    spark
    fuel in the float valves

Add start ya bugger then push start

3. float valves...???

4. If it's getting fuel and makes compression its sounding like a timing issue.
    Also is the wiring to the CDI connected?

5. I would first be looking for spark, then fuel followed by compression. Did you start the motor before you transfered it? If you have then you can rule out internal engine probs. Most likely cause would be electrical, such as a wire not conected, harness dry joint or even a damaged pick up from moving the engine. These motors are pretty basic as such, compared to some other engines around. They are pretty robust, but it only takes one bad connection, or your tounge to be pointing to the wrong side of your mouth...

I hope you get it sorted, i would deffinitely check for spark first. They fire on every crank rotation so you should know pretty quick.

Cheers

6. Thanks everyone for all the help, Fantastic news i jump started it from my dads hilux and persisted for 10-15 minutes and eventually i heard the sweet splutering sound :grin: :grin: :grin: i left it running for another 20 minutes and got the revs up now shes running like a champion the only issue i have now is getting something big enough to remove the rear wheel so i can adjust the chain tension which is way to lose or i was thinking maybe the NRMA .... any ideas