I had to post because yesterday I finished the hard bit of a project that's been dogging me for a few weeks. A bike-illiterate friend of mine bought an 86 GPZ250R rat bike at the auctions. He was assured it worked and it even had a 2-week old inspection certificate. Except, it didn't: when a mechanic eventually started the engine for him, it had death rattles indicating top and bottom end damage. The steering head bearings were shot to shit (anyone got any 90-130-01s?), quite a bit of repaired crash damage evident (welding on the footrest hangers, straightened handlebars). The blown fork seals were hardly worth mentioning. On the up side, the bike was straight and complete, had excellent tyres, chain/sprockets, and my friend loved the oddball GPZ2-R styling. With wifey hacking at him for wasting money on the bike and the couple of hundred in spare funds not extending to paying a mechanic to install a new engine, it was decided that he'd get a motor from the wreckers and I'd install it. Although I knew there'd be dramas and I didn't know what they were (er, 'known unknowns', as Donald Rumsfeld used to say), finding a GPZ engine was clearly a challenge so we went for a GPX motor. Putting the engine itself in was very easy, the trial and error of what parts had to be brought across from the GPZ took a bit longer. In the unlikely event that anyone is attempting this, you need to put the GPZ flywheel and ignition pick-ups onto the donor engine, which will make it plug into the original CDI (so you don't need the GPX CDI). This could possibly apply to doing a swap between GPX and ZZR. This week we'll do the steering head bearings and the fork seals and then there'll be one more of us on the road- for $1600 so far all-up, we should be riding for a bit over $2000 with rego, which probably isn't too bad.