Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

GPX 250 heating up, normal or not?

Discussion in 'Technical and Troubleshooting Torque' started by Samboss260, Aug 14, 2012.

1. So I went for a quick ride late Sunday afternoon.

It consisted of back suburban streets to the local Uni car park where I spent around 10 mins doing slow u-turns, stop starts and slow riding maneuvers in 1st gear. As per normal, the temp gauge got to around half way and I could feel my arse getting warm from the hot air. So I took off home.

Coming home was pretty much 2nd / 3rd gear around 20 to 30kms an hour along the river as it is full of speed humps. Around here I noticed that the temp came down a little. Coming home, couple of red lights and a round about.

By the time I got home, the temp gause was tad over half way, which is more than normal by the time I get home, and I could really feel hot air around the fairings. Turned the bike off and then I could hear the thermo fan kick in for around 30 seconds.

Now is this normal? To be fair, I can only compare this short run to those that were in really cold conditions. Whenever I have done the slow car park stuff, or the uni / speed bump run I normally give it a run on the highway around 80km/hr and the temp gets down to less than a quarter which is where it normally is.

Only thing that has changed is that I changed the oil and filter last week.

Should I be concerned, or is this normal? I've only had the bike for around 2 months, so very much learning as I go....
  2. Sounds normal to me. GPXs do warm up a bit with very low speed riding but if it's sitting at the 1/4 mark during highway crusing then certainly seems like the cooling system is working perfectly.

But I would certainly agree that it doesn't hurt to check the coolant level from time to time.
  3. Cheers guys.

Will check collant level when I get home. And will be taking her for a normal ride tonight / in the morning, without car park work. I'm heading out for a decent ride tomorrow afternoon, so want to make sure that all is good with the bike.
  4. My GPX tends to do the same thing if i'm not consistently riding above 20km\h and i've just assumed it's normal. As stated before if i'm cruising it will sit on 1/4 when cruising and creep up a little if stuck in traffic.

I have only ever heard the fan turn on once and that was during my P's test day which consisted of the most stop start riding I have put the bike through.

And when I first got the bike I flushed my coolant to be sure it was fresh and not a few years old.
  5. Halfway is normal for mine around town

Temp gauge that is!