Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

GPX 250 Clutch lever modification

Discussion in 'Modifications and Projects' started by Nocker, Dec 24, 2006.

1. Hey all,

I've had my GPX 250 for a couple of months or so now and am loving it!

I've got just one thing that is a pain in the neck. The clutch lever rattles at revs above about 8k. It is a real tinny rattle as it is metal agains metal. As pointed out to me in this thread:
    it is common on GPX's for this to occur. I would REALLY like to rectify this issue as it sh#ts me big time.

I was wondering if anyone had gone to the trouble of fixing the problem and if so what exactly did you do?

I can see that there is a little bit of play in the clutch lever and would assume that I just need to put in a spacer of some sort. Would it be best to use a spacer that removes all play? Or would this cause wear that is not wanted? Should I use a metal washer or a nylon/rubber one?

Thanks in advance :wink:
  2. i have the same issue. im thinkingof just getting a peice of rubber ( from a tube or similer) and making it fit soem where in there...

let me know how you go!
  3. I have the same problem with my gpx. Turns out that when i replaced a broken clutch lever the switch underneath it let go of its little plastic pin, thus taking the pressure off of the clutch when disengaged and alowing some backlash. The only way to fix it is to a) replace the whole switch or b) make your own pin.
    Be carefull with this because if you dont lube the lever and pin often enough the pin and lever will flat spot and cause the clutch lever to stick half way when you release it.
  4. I like the idea of the nylon washer thingy or a rubber one - is there a possibility of 'pinching' the outer casing around the lever to lessen the gap in between, perhaps?
  5. You run the risk of breaking the out casing if you "pinched" it and you might find that it will cause the lever to stick. as for the nylon washer the trick would be to find a shim wash thin enough.
  6. http://www.ninja250.info/index.htm
    Then click "maintenance" from the top menu
    Then click "I need help repairing my bike."
    Then click "My clutch lever rattles when I rev the engine."

Then bookmark the site. Keep in mind that Ex250rs are the same as Aussie GPXs. There's also a forum for ZZR owners there as well I believe...
  7. Thanks Bonkers. I finally got around to putting in some effort and do something about it. The Coke bottle shimms worked a treat. :)

No more clutch rattle for me :!: :grin:
  8. You're very welcome. :grin:
  9. I have a 1993 gpx 250 it dus not make a sound.
    Maybe see what the differens is.
    The newer gpx's mite have different parts
  10. Yup, my 91 model is nice and quiet, so I often wondered what the difference is.

11. handy site..

will make up some coke bottle washers now..