Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

GPX 250 Carby Billowing White Smoke

Discussion in 'Technical and Troubleshooting Torque' started by Zeebrah, Dec 9, 2015.

1. Hey guys,

I've had a bit of a problem with my 05 GPX 250.

It died on me while I was riding, so we went through all the usual checks, (long story short)..We ended up stripping it down to the bare minimum and we noticed that with the air box removed, the engine is billowing white smoke straight out. It obviously doesn't start when the air box is in because there is so much smoke.

I believe the bike must have had too much oil in it and a seal must have gone?

What would the next step to be?

I'll list the steps of what happened below.

> Bike originally died at the lights.
    > Wouldn't turn back on
    > Oil seemed low
    > Topped up and bike ran
    > Next day, the bike was running rough
    > Died while riding, dumped a bunch of oil while sitting
    > Towed home
    > Check air filter box, small traces of oil
    > Checked carbies, fairly clean
    > Start ya bastard didn't work (rules out lean fuel issue)
    > Removed air filter box
    > Started, billowing of white smoke, able to idle now

Kawasaki 2005 GPX EX 250
  2. Sounds like the head gaskets gone.
    Oil and crap in radiator?
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. Yup.
    White smoke is usually coolant and indicative of a blown head gasket and/or cracked/warped head. Heavy oil use is consistent with that as well with oil in the radiator (brown foamy muck) being the final nail in the coffin.
    Sorry, but it sounds like your top end is cactus.
  4. Alright, that was I was expecting but wanted to get another opinion, looks like I'll be busy this week then.

Cheers guys
  5. Oil is black or bluish smoke.

White smoke is generally either a coolant leak (head gasket) or a new pope.
    • Funny Funny x 2
  6. Pope George Paul the 10th :D
  7. It CAN be oil where there is enough of it. Two occasions in my motorcycle experience gave me white smoke from oil. One was a holed piston. The other was an upper cylinder that was so worn that after a LONG downhill run using a lot of engine braking and immediately stopping for a coffee at a cafe, I was having a very hard time getting the bike to light up. When it did, it billowed white smoke for 300 metres or so before the cylinder cleared of the oil that had been pumped up in the run down the hill. How bad was the oil use? 1 litre per 1000km! Oddly, the bike did not smoke much at all in normal use - really only noticeable by revving it really hard or when it was first started.

It can be white if there is enough of it so that it comes out as an ultra-fine oil mist rather than smoke. There used to be a device called a "fogger" that was used to apply insecticide that used this principle to deliver the chemical. If I remember right, it used Kero or paraffin oil as the carrier for the chemical. If you google DDT and see any historical footage of its application, you may see a fogger in use. White smoke from petrochemicals.

With your suspected head gasket, also look at the oil. If it takes on a creamy appearance, that would be contamination by water, and that is usually another sign of a head gasket problem.
    • Agree Agree x 1