Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

GPSGUIDER versus GPS301 - greed camera alert GPS units

Discussion in 'Riding Gear and Bike Accessories/Parts' started by robsalvv, Jan 6, 2006.

1. Hey folks,

I had the luxury of running both the GPS guider and the GPS301 units side by side in the car over xmas.

Both units run a database of fixed redlight and speed cameras and warn you when you're approaching them. I know some of you have been considering them.

So here's a quick review from my side to side comparo.

The GPSguider appears to have a more accurate and complete database compared to the GPS301.

The 301 allows you to input camera alert locations - the Guider only allows you to set user positions which means you only get a 200m warning if you discover a camera that's not in the database.

The Guider's prime advantage is that it's simple and has very little speed readout lag compared to the GPS301. The 301 has a 1-2 second lag and seems to underread by 2km's compared to the Guider whenever there's any variation in speed.

Both units read the same speed when the vehicle speed was constant.

The 301's extra features make it a poor mans GPS unit... The 301's navigate feature is nifty - I was in Lorne yesterday and that's only some 90kms away from my place as the crow flies...

The 301 not recording trip distance is a nuisance though. Its other nuisance feature is that it records the max speed and average speed across all journeys until the speed area is cleared and manually reset.

As for a recommendation, i'd say the guider is the one for the car as it talks to you - which is not that user friendly on a bike with helmet wind noise. The screen symbols are also a bit esoteric and basic so you really need that voice.

The GPS301 is probably better suited to the bike, even though it has major speed lag, because it uses tones and visuals to alert you and has a half decent screen message.

That's enough from me.

Hope you found this helpful.