Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

GPS will slow you down VicRoads MUARC

Discussion in 'Research, Studies, and Data' started by mainstage, Nov 27, 2013.

1. Here you go vicroads MUARC vic gov Terry Mulder all in the same study . Enjoy :(

World first study finds speed alert devices to slow leadfoots down

Wednesday 27 November 2013

The Hon Terry Mulder MP
    Minister for Public Transport
    Minister for Roads

A landmark study of Victorian motorists with a history of speeding has found that using speed alert devices can reduce speeding, potentially saving lives.

Minister for Roads Terry Mulder said the VicRoads study was the first in the world to examine if Intelligent Speed Assist (ISA) devices would improve the speed behaviour of a group of repeat speeders.

VicRoads conducted two trials; one involving repeat speeders attending a behaviour-change discussion group, and the other used technology to warn drivers they were speeding. Researchers from the Monash University Accident Research Centre independently evaluated the trials.

“The most promising results were returned by those drivers using a speed alert (ISA) device with an audible alert or beep when the vehicle exceeded the speed limit,” Mr Mulder said.

“Participants with an ISA device fitted to their cars spent 40 per cent less time speeding than the group of drivers without the device.

“This is an important piece of research which demonstrates how technology can be used to reduce the accidents, injuries and deaths caused by speeding.”

Mr Mulder said he encouraged drivers to buy a GPS with a speed alert function.

“Most popular GPS devices have features that warn a motorist when they are over the speed limit, and we now know how effective they can be,” Mr Mulder said.

“With Christmas just around the corner, this is a great gift idea for families to buy their loved ones. You will not just be giving a gift but also in turn receiving the gift of peace of mind, knowing your loved one will be safer out on the roads.

“When comparing the average cost of a GPS with a speed alert function at around $100 to the cost of a minimum speeding fine at $180, the choice is obvious.

“The message is simple – if you or someone you know has racked up multiple speeding fines or wants to avoid speeding fines, consider a device like a GPS with a speed alert function. You will become a safer driver and help reduce the road toll.

“Travelling at five kilometres over the speed limit in a 60 km/h zone doubles the chance of a crash and is the equivalent to driving with a blood alcohol level of 0.05. That risk quadruples when you’re 10 kilometres over a 60 km/h limit.

“The research team at Monash University Accident Research Centre estimated that repeat speeders using an ISA device can result in a 12 per cent reduction in the casualty crash risk across all speed zones.

“Even more promising, the research team has estimated that if all repeat speeders were to use the ISA devices continuously, we could prevent 180 casualty crashes over five years,” Mr Mulder said.

The ISA device trial involved 39 drivers using an advisory ISA device fitted to their cars, and compared the results with those of 46 drivers without devices. Continuous speed data from their vehicles was collected over five months – three months with the ISA device and a further two months after it was removed.

The ISA devices had a three-stage warning sequence with a visual speed limit which turned red when the speed limit was exceeded by 1 to 2 km/h, a single beep when the vehicle reached 2 to 4 km/h over the limit and a continuous rapid triple beep when the vehicle speed reached more than 4 km/h over the limit, with the continual beeping continuing until the vehicle returned to the speed limit.

A trial participant, Amanda Toohey, said she had learnt a lot about her driving behaviour during the trial.
    “Having the device in my car made me realise that to stop my speeding, a change of behaviour was required, including better time-management and organisation,” Mrs Toohey said.

“At the time of the trial my daughters were 11 and 12 years old. The device did slow my driving, and made me realise that we pass a lot of our bad habits onto our children, and my driving behaviour needed to change. My oldest daughter will get her learners next year and I hope she never speeds.”

Mr Mulder said VicRoads will now use this research to help develop an in-car technology (ISA) strategy and recommendations for the Victorian Coalition Government to consider.

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  2. A most entertaining read. However on a 4wd trip at the weekend one of our group was threatened with a $350 fine for having a device to wit 1 GPS with speed alert stuck to his windscreen with a suction cup. Thanks Vic hwp for creating havoc amoungst our group. Mulder says we all need em but if you use one prepare to be fined if you stick it up where you can see/use it. Good one Victoria. I guess if you argue with them they,ll fix the problem by taking your license off you.
    • Like Like x 1
  3. No it's not, it's a piece of research that shows that you will slow down. There is nothing in it about accidents, injuries and death.

Interesting none the less but it is annoying to see politicians parley research up into something it isn't.
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  4. Where on the windscreen was it?

low in the corner is ok, in the middle can be considered obstructing the driver's vision.
  5. orrrr... what it demonstrates is that despite peoples best efforts and intentions there are other things that demand your visual attention while driving aside from the speedometer!

still failing to see a direct correlation between speed and safety though.
    • Like Like x 1
  6. First? really? NSW was trialling these years ago in the wollongong region, the ones we had cut your ignition and slowed the car down for you if you didnt comply. RTA out doing vicroads in the big brother stakes for once.

I doubt anything will come about this yet, give it 10 years then you will have GPS+3G embedded circuits in everyones license plates (so they can bill you for it) Then what are you going to do, every vehicle has a plate, old or new, that wont save you. Big brother is coming for your speeding liberties. I really hope i can get off this rock before that shit happens.
  7. This made me laugh

,,A trial participant, Amanda Toohey, said she had learnt a lot about her driving behaviour during the trial.

Having the device in my car made me realise that to stop my speeding, a change of behaviour was required, including better time-management and organisation,”

Where did she get that language from ? The marketing department of the TAC ,,
    sounds like a plant to me .
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  8. It's all bullshit anyway. Everyone knows that they don't want to slow us down and kill the cash cow. If we all slowed down to the often ridiculous speed limits they would just lower them again to keep the till ringing.
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. It was low in the center of the w/screen. He was also told $350 for the others also. He had a mob phone on a suction cap as well. Nothing said about the placement or the number just about them being held on with a suction cup. He was not nice about it either. Was on the Mansfield ,Jamison rd.
  10. Yes, but what she said is true. No one needs to speed, if you give yourself more than ample time to arrive at your next destination.

My car has speed warning beeper built in. It is set to 140, as that is the speed I do not want to exceed due to large fines and demerits.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  11. Great, more technology that helps a driver drive. As opposed to concentrating and using your f*&king brain.
  12. The world has moved on and these rogues are still harping on about speed. It is beyond belief how these people are still in a job.
  13. Well I'm fine with it. If they believe that a gps beeping is going to keep me safe and legal I'm more than happy to leave it at that. :whistle:
    • Agree Agree x 2
  14. They won't be satisfied till we have robot cars that trundle down the road together like train carriages.

15. Yes that is literally their objective, to turn the private car into a bus equivalent. Limit movement, fascist police state 101, prevent the serfs from being mobile and spreading ideas.
    • Like Like x 1
  16. Would there be any way for drivers/riders to tell if said circuits were functioning correctly? Assuming there would be a penalty for interfering with them (because I can't see there not being), someone could cause a lot of mischief by wandering around a car park with the right equipment...
  17. Legal ! "It's better to die on your feet than to live on your knees '
  18. We are talking about MUARC here. A collection of doctors and psychologists that don't build or operate roads, transport firms or get out of their own arse very often.

These are the same dickheads that continually crap on about achieving behavioral change through enforcement and messaging rather than training and investing in better infrastructure. Of course one means a government sounds like it is doing something and makes some money. The other means actually doing something (risky) and spending money. Don't even mention their ideas on advanced driver training.

What beggers belief is they were even given money for this research. Most cars have speed alerts - people typically set them too high to have any effect.

MUARC is a very successful research organisation. It is because it tells politicians what they want to hear in very palatable sound bites which of course gets it more research funding.

You are right that for at least some roads current limits are too low. But then so are driver standards.
    • Agree Agree x 2
  19. The results of the trial are self-obvious. Any numbscull could have predicted the results: put a speed alert device into the car to abnoy the fcuk out of the driver, and they'll speed less to reduce the annoyance! No sh!t, MUARC Shirlocks! If they had any (un)common sense, they wouldn't need to ask the question in the first place!
    • Agree Agree x 2
  20. Someone was paid to do this research?

It doesn't take a fcuking rocket surgeon to know that if you play a really annoying sound when someone does a particular action that they will avoid doing that action to avoid hearing the noise.

I believe it's called aversion therapy.
    • Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1