Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

GPS Software for PC

Discussion in 'Riding Gear and Bike Accessories/Parts' at netrider.net.au started by Duffman, Oct 19, 2006.

1. Hi,

I'm wanting to get a GPS in the not too distant future. I dont want the standard city based navigation maps, i want a GPS that i can load topo maps and the like onto. Anyway, i've pretty much decided on a Garmin unit.

Garmin maps are provided in .img format which can be viewed on your PC with their "Mapsource" software. But i want to have a look at some .img maps now to check out the quality of the off road detail. But i cant open the .img files without the mapsource program, which i obviously wouldnt have until i buy a Garmin GPS. So is there any other program around that can view .img files?

Cheers.

PS, i've done the usual google search and have installed a few programs but none have worked so far.

2. Try Oziexplorer http://www.oziexplorer.com/ I doubt if it will read Garmin maps as they are 'keyed' to a particular GPS serial No by the Garmin 'Mapsend' utility, but you can scan in printed maps and 'calibrate' them with your GPS. If you are after off road maps you can buy the AUSLIG and NATMAP topo maps on CD http://www.ga.gov.au/nmd/products/maps/raster250k/#versions , and Oziexplorer can read them and upload waypoints and routes to your gps. (they cost less than Garmin maps too)..

3. Ive just bought the latest V7 australia update for my 276C MUCH improved detail over the last version.

4. Inci,

thanks for that.

I seem to recall you saying you've got a TomTom Rider?
    Have you had a chance to test out the maps away from the city? What was it like?

cheers
    jono

5. Great site inci - thanks for the links

$99 for every Topo map - I paid about $40 for four :shock:

6.  Top
  7. Looking at getting the Garmin Zumo when it is released here, so long as it takes Topo maps I'll be happy.

Lucky as only 15 mins to Oziexplorer's shop so bug them every few months.

8. Thats the question isnt it. For my mind, in Australia we really need a GPS with the good city maps (ie CityNavigator) and also good topo maps for the country. The trick i guess is finding the right GPS unit that can take the right additional maps.

hmmmm, the search continues.

9. I have the Tom Tom One which uses the same maps. It's excellent "away from the city". Of course there are areas that have roads that aren't displayed. But this stuff is always being updated with each revision.

Of course, the TTR/O probably aren't much chop for off-road activities. For that you can try a Garmin with the tracks4australia maps.

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/tracks4australia/

The fellow who runs this accepts data from contributors. He makes two versions, a free one and a "pro" version that costs $50. I have the free one on my Etrex. Its detail is a lot better than the standard base map and in some areas, better than City Navigator. It's been designed to cater for rural maps, offroad, etc. A mate on a dirtbike ride put it on his Etrex. It helped him nav from Dargo through to Licola recently.

10. most off-roaders use Magellan topo maps, they include fire tracks and all sorts of stuff.

11. I also have all the topo Vic maps the DSE, CFA etc use on disk if any one is interested.

12. Yes, I do have a TomTom Rider, and no I have not had a chance to try it away from the city yet. The maps are not that up to date even in the city though, no Reid Highway extension, no Kwinana Freeway extension, and my housiing eatate (which is 5 years old) is a paddock.

The best topo maps I have come across are the Jeppesen Aviation charts in my Garmin GPS96. Unfortunately they are very expensive to update and must be updated every 6 months. They also contain a lot of aviation specific 'clutter' which nobody else needs.

I also have a 'company' Garmin IQ GPS/PDA, and I suspect that the maps are better in the country than the TomTom. I used it extensively up around Southern Cross off-road, and the detail was excellent. Until I get a chance to try the TomTom 'bush' I won't really know though.

In the city the Garmin maps are no better than the TomTom. I suspect this may be because the street data for both is originally derived from the same source.

13. It is quite confusing i find. I had a look at a mates relatively new GPS (cant even remember what brand) and it was very average out of the city even on major roads - to the point where huge numbers of roads were incorrectly named.

14. Yes, I noted the other day that lake Dunderup had been picked up and moved about 2 k's by Garmin when I flew over it the other day. I wish the bastards would put it back, as its a very useful turning point.

15. On the original question - This program seems to claim it can open and edit garmin maps.

http://www.geopainting.com/en/

I have not tried it though, I just Googled it up.....

16. Whats 2kmm difference amongst friends?

Excellent Inci, that program is perfect.

I'm using it to open the Tracks4Australia maps right now. Interestingly the Tracks4Australia maps are somewhat lacking in road names. I guess they are reliant upon users contributing track logs before the maps are complete.

17. Whats 2kmm difference amongst friends?

Excellent Inci, that program is perfect.

I'm using it to open the Tracks4Australia maps right now. Interestingly the Tracks4Australia maps are somewhat lacking in road names. I guess they are reliant upon users contributing track logs before the maps are complete.