Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

GPS on a bike

Discussion in 'New Riders and Riding Tips' started by Clemo, Nov 29, 2011.

1. Hi guys and gals
    Whats the go with mounting a GPS, sat nav thingy on a bike?
    Being a male I have a shocking sence of direction and despite living in Melbourne for nearly 30 years I am still getting lost when out on a cruze.
    So is it ok to mount a small gps on your bike and if so what is the best way of going about it?
    Thanks, Michael.

2. best way is on the handle bars or if you have screws in your tank cap, on your tank. I'd say all motorcycle GPSes come with at least a charging cradle and handle bar mounts.
  3. too many ways.
    some people just go the iPhone app and bluetooth ear piece.
    or cradle mount, (as mentioned by Kernel, who's been feeling a bit clucky lately, so probably thinking about cradles anyway) and hardwire it from the cradle.
    or any gps that has bluetooth, stick it in your pocket. then a compatible bluetooth thingy on your helmet, wired to a small speaker inside the helmet.
  4. Clemo if you intend to hard wire one on, pm streetmaster he'll sort the power side of things for you. portability via bluetooth as [MT1] mentions helps keep the gps in your pocket so no chance of leaving it behind on the bike so a nasty wont pinch it on you.
  5. I use my mobile phone (nokia) in a pocket and head phones - it keeps telling me to slow down too!

That said I haven't needed it yet. I look up where I'm going on google, then find it by zooming in on my phone and then I remember where it is -- no street names to remember just a picture. Nice to know my phone will sort me out if I get lost though.
  6. if you have a smart phone I would recommend metro-view .. I use this on the iPhone put in the in-ear headphones and off you go . very good with speed/red light camera alerts payed for itself a number of times :)
  7. Makes you wonder how people coped before GPS. I suspect a lot of them rode out and never found their way home.
    • Like Like x 2
  8. Cool thanks for the info. I had not even considered the whole bluetooth thing but it does seem the best way of going about it.

Well in the car I use the melways but on the bike I dont have the luxury of having it open on the passenger seat and I have been warned about tank bags scratching the tank so this seems to be the way to go.
  9. Didn't you used to watch cartoons? You just open a hot dog stand when you get lost.
  10. +1 metro view & bluetooth.
  11. #13 Fybre, Nov 30, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 24, 2015
    Oh, i just messed myself!