Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

GPS/Navigator NOT for a bike - recomendations.

Discussion in 'The Pub' started by daewoo, Feb 14, 2008.

1. My wife could get lost in our house... seriously...

If anyone knows that little road called the Princes Highway runs from well, near Melbourne, all the way up the coast and conieniently right through our suburb... my wife was on it coming home from Wollongong and ended up in PICTON, and took 3 hours to get home (it's a 40 minute trip)...

She has started a new job that will involve her driving to new places in our area every day, and I think the only way to make it there in the same day is to get one of those new fangled GPS thieve candy things...

Cheap and easy to use is all she needs.

I of course don't need it, 'cause I am a bloke and never get lost...

All help appreciated,

2. I'd recommend a Tom Tom One V2 (version 2?). I had the Tom Tom original and it worked well, easy to use and as accurate as any of them out there, given that they all use the same maps.

It got knocked off (thieve candy as you called it). So a replacement GPS, a Mio C510 was bought. Unfortunately it's nowhere near as good as the TTO.
  3. Garmin's car-oriented Streetpilot units do the job, too.

I personally use a Garmin eTrex Legend C, which is a small handheld unit intended for bushwalking, but it works just fine on motorcycle and mountainbike handlebars, and in the car (especially when connected to a laptop via USB for Giant Moving Map And Synthesised Voice). Probably wouldn't recommend that path for your wife, though. :)

Streetpilot would be a better (more user-friendly) fit for car-only work.
  4. I've used a TomTom on several occasions and its sweet! Easy to use, follow, cheap and portable.

Beats the shit out of the ones that turn off when you put it in Park etc (fixed to the car type). Lol you get lost, naturally pull over, put car into Park and the gps turns off....and you take out the Melway.
  5. Thanks for the input...

My mother has a Garmin that we borrow from time to time, but they seem to be abot more $$$ than the others...

I will have a look at them and the Tom Tom... Does anyone know if the Tom Tom Rider would work OK in a car situation, or would the rider orientated functions make it a pain?

6. Rider works beautifully in the car, and there is a car kit available for it (basically a windscreen mount + cigarette lighter socket charger). It has no built in speaker, so you won't hear verbal instructions, however it pairs via bluetooth to any bluetooth headset or handsfree bluetooth unit, so you have no worries there either :) I use mine in the car all the time as well as the bike.
  7. That is where the whole plan fell apart... my missus is very techmonolgy shy... struggles with Outlook on a daily basis... If I tried to talk to her about Bluetooth she would be heading to the dentist...

I guess that there is a good arguement that is she gets a new machine, I should get one too... :grin:

8. Bah - you make the mistake of thinking you should tell her about Bluetooth. You just say - "Here honey, here's the new GPS, here's the headset for it. Switch on the GPS by pressing this button and switch on the headset with this button"

If you've already paired them once, its a matter of just turning them on, no need for her to worry about it.

But if she can't operate Outlook, do you think she has a hope of operating a GPS anyway? :LOL:
  9. You don't have to live with her... I was working in Malaysia, 6,600km away and I get a phone call in the middle of the night "I can't get the DVD player to work"... oh, OK, I'll just pop over and fix it will I?...

I liked that the bluetooth shows the name of the caller on the GPS screen, and allows you wo answer calls, but I don't think The Minister for War would ever want a bluetooth headset... Dog knows she doesn't need any encouragement to talk MORE on the phone...

I have narrowed it down to the;
    Garmin Nuvi 310 $499
    Tom Tom Go 720 $679
    Navman S80 $599
    and the Mio C520 $469

These are basically the lowest price model of each brand that does Text to Speach (tells you the street names), which I think is important...

I will do a bit of a net search and see if I can get more info...

10. Wow, someone who has found Bluetooth devices that work seamlessly with each other.

One thing that the Mio doesn't do - work seamlessly with Bluetooth. I paired it with my wife's Nokia phone. Since then it's a hit and miss affair, and often when a call comes the Mio may or may not pick it up. And most importantly, the sound from it is not as clear as it could be and people have difficulty in hearing us if we use the Mio as a hands free.
  11. Steer clear of the Mio. The Garmin, Tom Tom and Navman brands are much better, and have greater web presence too than the Mio. When I was looking for support I was directed to some guy in NSW somewhere. Sounds like he's a one man operation, and support was slow in coming.
  12. +1 I've had Garmin Streetpilot C320 for a couple of years, been fantastic and the wife loves it. Very easy to use. No more fights in the car either! :grin:
  13. Just buy her a LExus IS 250 as it has a fantanstic built in GPS navigation system. :twisted: (I had the use of one on Wednesday, while my LX470 was being serviced. It is a very very good navigation system.)

A few notes:

GPS systems are not the be all and end all answer to navigation, and sometimes they take a little bit of understanding to interpret what they are telling you. Sometimes they will tell you to do silly things, like exit a freeway, drive a few Km in back streets, then reenter the freeway that you should have remained on the whole time. This may be a challenge for a technically challenge person. In general though, they will direct you to approximately where you ask them to direct you to. But there are some gotya's to be avoided.

Like the map data will not have all addresses in the database. You search for 245 Long Road, the GPS finds 241 Long Road, and guides you there, but it is actually two kilometres from the 245 Long Road.

Anyway, the Garmin Zumo and Nuvi lines are dumbed down GPSs, which means less settings to fiddle with, and maybe better for the technically challenged, but also that sometimes they just wont do what you want. I have a Garmin Zumo 550, which includes a motorcycle mount and a car mount. The car mount has a built in speaker and microphone. Not really very good for phone calls, but very good for navigation instructions. The Zumo costs about $1299 these days, but includes the two mounts and some other gear. It has bluetooth as well, and acts as a hands free unit, but I don't like the sound quality.

The Garmin Streetpilot series is supposed to be a better GPS, but too technical for many people.

I have heard good things about the MIOs, but not about the bluetooth. They are cheap for the specification though, aren't they?

The Tom Tom Riders rely on bluetooth for sound, which it has to be said, is still not up to scratch. Do not buy a GPS that only uses bluetooth for navigation instructions.

Whichever one you choose, you will still need to train her to enter destination addresses, which is not always that logical. Good luck!
  14. I have used a lot of brands, but finally settled on the TomTom one, super easy to use, your wife should be fine! hit "navigate to" select a "favorite" or type in address then you are done!

15. The only time I'll admit to using one was when we were in the states last August. It was a Tom Tom and it was brilliant with fresh US maps but it couldnt find its way to Tampa Int Airport when we were running late to pick someone up! Everywhere else it was sopt on and easy to use. It even had an Aussie chick's voice. Mrs 2wheelsagain had been using it for 2 months before I got there so if she can work it out...........

So I'd recommend a Tom Tom with updated Aussie maps :grin:
  16. Yeah, I do agree with this. It does take a little learning/practice to learn how to work with the GPS as a lean, mean, navigational team... When to ignore it, when it's telling you blatant lies, and when to change the navigation settings because it expects you to use an Xtreme 4x4 goat trail through knee-deep muddy mangroves in your MR2 sportscar because you forgot to tell it "Don't use unpaved roads" while living in remote Far North Queensland. (True story!)
  17. I was in the same boat. If my wife had to go anywhere new during the week, we'd have to have a "practice" drive the weekend before.

Bought her a Mio C520. Seemed the best value for money, but it is not easy to use. Also sent her the wrong way (by an hour) which I'm not sure if she loaded it wrong or the unit just picked a bad route! Returned it and got a Nuvi 760. Had it only a week now, but she uses it confidently and has not let her down yet! Highly recommend the Garmin GPS.

I think the 760 is similar to the 310, but has Bluetooth (handy) and it says street names as you approach (better than "next left").
  18. How did you convince the retailer to exchange it?

And which retailer was it?
  19. This is why I love Netrider... it is great to have a real community, where you can ask questions and get people's personal experience... so thanks not just to those that responded here... but to everyone who keeps this community alive and enjoyable...

I ended up buying the Garmin C310... at the end of the day, it was cheaper ($483) than everything except the Mio, and while I am sure the Mio is great if you are geeky enough to know how to change all the files around to do all of the things you can make it do, I'm just not that technomological...

What the guy in the shop DIDN'T tell me, is that it tells you "turn left on (route number) 1" instead of "Turn left on Princes Highway" or "Turn left on 68" instead of "Turn left on Farnell Drive"... to me that isn't really Text to speach... I did a bit of a search on the net, and found that it is changed if you update the software, which I did, but really that should be user selectable somewhere...

I also uploaded "Safety Camera" locations, but could only find Tom Tom ones, (at www.ozpoi.com ) and then a POI editor site that changed them to Garmin format... but that didn't work on the School Zone POI file, so I can't get them working...

Anyone know where I can get these and other POI in Garmin format for FREE???

20. I don't know how good these POI files are, because I don't use them at the moment, but they should be good, since they are provided by the Garmin importer, GME. Look here: http://www.gme.net.au/garmin/custom_POIs.php

I use the GPSOZ POI files at the moment, which are only available to GPSOZ customers. See http://www.gpsoz.com.au/garmin_poi.htm Where did you buy it?

Oh, wait, you bought the C310, not the Nuvi 310. In that case I don't know if those POI files will work for you. The pages don't list the C310. No. . . wait. . . GME don't import the Streetpilot C310, and it is not shown in their discontinued products either. It is also discontinued in the USA. The US Garmin site says "Sold exlusively in Europe, . . . " What did you buy exactly, and from where? Was it new, second hand, or old stock, or did you buy it online, or from eBay?

Anyway there are everal other POI site around, but I don't think they have better POIs than GME or GPSOZ. Take a look at http://www.poi-factory.com/

My Zumo also uses route numbers when available instead of road names. I don't like it either, and neither do many users, although in some circumstances it is better. The Zumo crowd want to have both spoken.