Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Gps cock ups

Discussion in 'Electronics' at netrider.net.au started by Bugz, Mar 17, 2010.

1. A couple of times Ive had a GPS throw a spanner in the navigational works.

There was a beauty last week on the mystery ride. I think it was a Garmin that led our brave and intrepid leader up a dead end in the bush. The road turned into a heavily cambered, narrow gravel track that had the ubiquitous pair of pronounced gravel mounds running its length, various ruts, ridges and grooves thrown in for good measure.
    It would have been a good test for a KTM mounted Dakar Veteran... Let alone
    young men and woman on Sports bikes.:cry:

Anybody else had "Fun" caused by GPS or GPS soft/firmware failures?

2. My Navman loves the phrase "do a u-turn when possible" and tries to use it as often as possible.

It also gets very lost in the Melbourne CBD.

3. I was driving a bus up from Geelong on that evil stretch of straight road they call a freeway. The GPS said to exit and I was tired, so I exited thinking it knew best. As I rolled to a stop at the end of the exit ramp, the GPS cheerfully announced 'Enter freeway on-ramp northbound'.

F***ing! The thing made me get off and straight back on again!

It's bad enough in a car, but in a BUS I was slightly shitty. :tantrum:

I no longer use GPS. Stupid backward thing that's less reliable than a good old map.

4. I'd hardly used GPS units until my last big ride to Tassie. Bought a Garmin Zumo 660.

On several sections of highway it would get itself confused and show me as being off the highway, riding through a paddock !! Then it would say "please drive to highlighted route" ... Well I would if I wanted to get intimate with a cow :)

In the dense city streets it had difficulty keeping up with me and would say to turn when I was right on the cross road, or worse still, after I'd passed it.

Overally I'm not a fan of motorbike GPS units, especially when you take into account how ridiculously expensive they are.

5. My GPS has never got me lost - I have had longer than expected and sometimes interesting routes home tho :D

6. My garmin nuvi 310 is OK if I do what it says. Once I depart from the route it gets a bit frantic and tries to get me back on the original route even if it means sending me up the garden path (almost literally sometimes). When it finally works out I'm not on the original route it often recalculates something sensible.

7. I've had a couple of good satnav-related incidents.

(1) Whilst in Mackay with a rented Santa Fe, attempted to find a geocache near a fairly accessible beach. Had the GPS guiding me from the highway to the cache site itself. Went from the highway to a paved backroad. Fair enough; it's remote Queensland and I'm 5km from the cache. Went from the paved backroad to an unpaved road. Fair enough; it's remote Queensland and I'm 3km from the cache. Went from unpaved road to.... a pair of wheeltracks through the grass. Erm. Well... It's remote Queensland and I'm 2km from the cache...?

From a pair of wheeltracks to an indistinct path through a dry riverbed, with the Santa Fe squirming around like a hovercraft on the slippery clay... GPS claims the "road" leaves the creekbed 50m away, but there's no visible trail. Aborted, nearly got thoroughly bogged on the way out. Some toothless bearded man pulled up while I was on the side of the unpaved road deciding on the best way to a paved road and uttered something completely unintelligable. It sounded angry but I have no idea. Found my way to paved roads, followed paved roads to the beach, found cache, went home.

GPS no longer permitted to "Use Unpaved Roads".

(2) Took the mildly-lowered MR2 sportscar along 55km of twisty gravel road - some of which was "NO 2WD ACCESS WHEN WET" - which, on the GPS and Google Maps was illustrated as a paved road. Main reason was for the twisty roads. Too difficult/time consuming to make my way back to a paved road and "go around", so I softened up the damping rates and tried not to shake myself or the car to pieces.

(3) Clarence Way. Similar to #2; Semi-paved twisty-filled road marked as paved road. The sad thing is, I'd learned my lesson from #2. This time I used the satellite photos to check three different places along the length of the road to make sure it was paved!

... as luck would have it, entirely by accident I'd placed my birds-eye view cameras on pretty much the only paved parts of the road. :p

Once again, pretty much the only option available to me once I'd gotten to the road.

But hey, it wouldn't be an adventure if it didn't involve sportscars on sportsbikes on 50-150km gravel roads. :p

8.  Top
  9. My Navman has me running around in circles at times. Nearly thrown it away a few times.

10. I was driving a company car down the Bennwerrin - Mt Sabine Rd (runs along the coast paralell to the Great Ocean Rd about 5km inland between Lorne & Apollo Bay) which is gravel and in good nick.

Towards the western end there was a fork in the road and the GPS said go left so I did, after a few kilometres the track narrowed and turned into a muddy goat track with deep wheel tracks full of water.

I had no way of turning around so got to test out the then new 4x4 on a proper section of very ugly 4x4 track. I was lucky the Falcon wagon I usually would use for such a trip was being used by someone else and ended up borowing the 4x4 instead.

I also find the GPS falls off the road on a regular basis and it thinks I'm driving through a paddock at 100km/h.

I own a Tom Tom ONE v3, despite the above I find it useful although I still refer to a proper map to plan my trip and occasionally doublecheck what the Tom Tom is telling me to do cos occasionally I know a better way to get o where I'm going.

11. Dear Administrator/Moderator,

Even though you may "think" so, this thread is not about; Riding Gear and Bike Accessories/Parts! ](*,)

It's about getting sent to the wrong place when motorcycling, off ones chest!

Please put it back in the "General Discussion" classification.

12. he's a satellite short of a signal?

13. He gets that, because he wants to use 4 lines to make the triangulation.

14. It's good to know that other people have had the same trauma as me when using a GPS.:LOL::LOL:

15. Came out of the East bound Citylink tunnel and the bike's GPS unit regains the satellites and tells me I'm doing 830something km/h. :twisted:

16. mine had the Meredith pub going at 440kph.

17. Aww. Best I've had is the Tiger doing 660kph on Macquarie Pass, my MR2 doing 260+ on Citylink (gearbox runs out of gears at 240kph...), and my mountainbike doing 183kph around a corner. I love speed anomalies caused by location errors. XD