Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

NSW Govt to water down "right to silence"

Discussion in 'Politics, Laws, Government & Insurance' at netrider.net.au started by snuff3r, Aug 14, 2012.

1. Read more: http://www.smh.com.au/nsw/right-to-silence-law-changed-20120814-2462p.html#ixzz23UyJLrRF

2.  Top
  3. Does this law also apply to Politicians who evade answering questions about things like Cabcharges, credit card expenditures, etc.?

• Like Like x 1
  4. This should slow investigations down nicely, while the interviewee seeks legal representation, and mouthpieces get run off their feet attending bullshit interviews....

"You want to interview my client, officer? How's March 2014 looking for you?"

5. so why does it need to be changed then?

6. Is this constitutionally legal?

7. Which constitution are you thinking of?

8. The federal and state ones that are supposed to be displayed prominently at every post office and public building, that you are lucky to find a copy of anywhere!? One of them :D.

9. I think in the Anti-Terrorism Act 2005 (Federal) there are clauses where you can be detained for 'X' period of time without legal represenatation.
    Maybe they are trying to implement similar?

10. At the end of the day the only rights humans have are the ones they are willing to fight for.

If I don't want to talk to you, best get out the drugs, baton and phone book.

Someone may try to infringe on what you consider your 'rights' but unless your conviction outways the consequences you don't have shit.

11. Fascist fuсking dogs.

12. Standard politician answer when theyre caught with a hand in the money pot.
    "I cannot recall the incident"

13. When it comes to Human Rights only Victoria and the ACT have a Human Rights Charter.

14. I know the US system is completely different to ours but I saw a U Tube vid with a presentation made by a Law Professor and a cop who was one of his student.It was about ABSOLUTELY on no occasion speaking to the cops,didn't mater if you are Innocent or not.The way any statement could be used again you was completely shocking.The vid went for 30 minutes but was so interesting I couldn't stop watching it.There is a reason why QCs get megabucks,those blokes are so cleaver with language and do it every day.
    Same but to a lesser extent Investigating cops.

15. Probably this vid - one of my favourites, and "compulsory watching" for new riders, teenagers, adults, etc etc...:
    Forget the 5th amendment bullshit - coppers here use the same techniques described, and you WILL find a way to incriminate yourself, regardless of your innocence...

• Like Like x 4
  16. so now with the new changes, you're damned if you do, and damned if you don't... nice.

17. Fixed that for you...

• Like Like x 2
  18. I remember those videos, there are also some scenarios for dealing with traffic stops, IE locking your car when getting out, contantly asking if you are otherwise being detained etc. Good stuff.