Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Govt action needed to cut off-road motorcycling injuries

Discussion in 'Politics, Laws, Government & Insurance' started by nous, Dec 15, 2006.

1. Thought this might be interesting.

I mentioned this to a dirt-bike rider and his opinion was that those were the dangers of off-road riding and there was no way to reduce it.

2. Being in the middle of nowhere means you're more likely to hit a tree or something rather than find anohter vehicle, well that's kinda obvious but other than ensuring people doing it are wearing suitable protective gear and the usual comment about training that's about all we can do.

It's the old they are in control of what they do and they need to ensure they minimise the risk as best they can and have a procedure in place (phone access, knowing how to get an ambulance to the patient, etc) if an incident occurs story.

People trip and roll ankles of worse all the time (I drove someone to their car at Wilson's Prom a few years ago cos I was working at a site at the top of a hill and had a key to the gate to drive up) but we never hear about that sort of thing. Being a motorised hobby it tends to attract more comment.
  3. I wonder how the numbers would look if put along side something like downhill skiing. And if you extrapolate those numbers as if a ski season ran all year...
    What would get more injuries?
  4. The annual sporting injury figures put motorsport near the top of the list every time but they put any wheel/engine based sport into the motorsport category.

I'd like to see the different 2, 3 & 4 wheeled sports separated just like they separate AFL, League, Union & Soccer. There is a number of injuries in track racing but Motocross is much worse, just like there's car circuit racing injuries but compared with speedway or rallying....

People poke themselves knitting or sewing FFS, life is dangerous, sports are dangerous, it's all about risk minimalisation these days with safety equipment and training.