Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

NSW Government PPSR check certificates

Discussion in 'Politics, Laws, Government & Insurance' at netrider.net.au started by Justin Stacks, Jan 2, 2013.

1. Just did one on a bike I am (or was) going to buy.

The only thing that stuck out was under Written Off: Collision, Aug 2008, Inspected

As I understand it, a write-off means the bike/car was totaled and can no longer be sold. A repairable write-off means the bike/car actually cost more to fix then it's worth.

How bad is this "Collision, Inspected"?

Does this mean it was just in a little fender bender, or what kind of accident was it in that is shows up under "written off"? If the owner had dropped the bike and reported it to insurance, would it show up as "Collision"?

What actually needs to happen to a vehicle to show up under this?

Also would you be willing to purchase a bike where this showed up in the report? It happened in "08, and has been registered since, so would this be considered to be very minor, or would you just stay away?

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. I would also be interested in as much info on this topic as I can get.
    As far as I can tell a statutory write off is no longer able to be registered, it can be sold but only for parts. A repairable write off can be repaired and re-registered but the damages were uneconomical to carry out (usually deemed so by insurance company).
    What I don't know is how bad is too bad to repair?
    Who makes this call?
    Is there a way for a potential buyer to access the report for why a bike was written off or are you expected to believe the current owner when they say 'it was just hardly anything wrong, I don't know why it was written off for. .'?

I have the same problem where I really want to believe that I have found a diamond in the rough but my conscience keeps getting the best of me.

3. Vicroads, RTA or whatever equivalent in your State.
    Check their website as they should have all the info you need

4. Ok will do, I'm in qld so I'll check out Queensland transport more thoroughly.

5. That's the spirit

• Like Like x 1
  6. After having a read of the QLD transport site, I have found that (from a structural point of view) a bike has "2 separate areas of structural damage to the frame and Impact damage other that scratching to the suspension it must be deemed a SWO"

Which will stop it from being registered again.

However it looks like a Safety Certificate is the only real mechanical check that needs to be passed before a repairable write off goes back on the road. It would have to undergo a written off vehicle inspection, but that is essentially to check the identity and continuity of possession of the vehicle.

There doesn't seem to be a way for a buyer to access information on why a bike was written off, unless the owner has a copy of an insurance assessor's report and is willing to hand it over to you (which may be the case, but not for me in this time round). Otherwise you are stuck with the seller's explanation of events.

So it seems that leave a lot of room for error. Everybody has heard stories of dodgy RWC that were easily obtained, I know a few people who have been caught out in the past and I'm sure everybody else does too. Only when it comes to a motorbike if it suddenly has a mechanical/structural problem on the highway or in heavy traffic there are not so many safety features to save you.

Looks like I'll have to save my pennies a while longer and leave the potential bargains for someone more willing to take that risk.

7. Wanted to correct a common misconception about what makes a bike a writeoff.

Most people think that a bike, or any vehicle, is declared a write off if the cost of repairs exceeds the sum insured. There is actually a third side to the equation, and that is the salvage value of the vehicle as it stands now.

A vehicle will be deemed a writeoff if cost of repairs exceeds the sum insured LESS the salvage value. With bikes, even damaged frames can be replaced, but once repairs get to this stage, the costs have generally blown out the writeoff equation.

If you are looking to buy a re-registered writeoff, have it inspected by a licenced motorcycle mechanic. If he deems it ok, and it rides ok, then there should be no problem as long as you have paid a "good" price and am not concerned about resale value.

8. Cheers I will take that into consideration while I am looking.

Also sorry Justin for hi jacking your post.

9. No, not always. It depends on the type of insurance you have.

Furthermore, statutory rules dictates a vehicle to be a writeoff if the damage cannot be safely repaired irrespective of the cost of repairs.

The correct formula is legislated:

"A vehicle is a total loss if it has been damaged, dismantled or demolished to the extent that its salvage value as a written off vehicle plus the cost of repairing the vehicle for use on a road would be more than:

(a) the market value of the vehicle immediately before the damage, dismantling or demolition, or
    (b) if the vehicle is insured for a specified amount (known as the sum insured), that specified amount."

Link: s89 Road Transport Act 2013

Justus.