Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Gotta Motorcycle GPS

Discussion in 'New Riders and Riding Tips' started by YAMRAJ, Dec 8, 2005.

1. Hey Guys, looking for suggestion on a Motorcycle GPS.

Not a fancy one, just something that will do its job and not loose it doing a short cuts out in the country. Anyone got one.. worth it? or should I stick to the bloody good Melway (that mean I gotta wear a back sack all the time) ? :D

2. I have a GPS navigation thingy in the work car and i love it for longer trips esp in the country. but for short city trips, the UBD is easier.

in my experience however, when you veer of the selected route, it can take a while to suggest a new one. and another flaw is that when you tell it to choose the quickest route it only considers distance but doesnt take into account traffic lights etc.
  3. You're outta touch, it's "red sack" time of year at the moment :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:
  4. Option 3: The below websites and a Printer (preferably colour for best effect)

Route planning

Location finding

Option 4: Sacrificial Melways

Just have one copy of the Melways you rip pages out of and stuff into your pocket...of course you have to return the pages and try and not get them wet (about 1/8 of my old melways is a paper mache ball atm) otherwise it doesn't last too long. Upgrade the melways in your car and use the older one for ripping out pages.

Option 5: Pocket UBD not sure if Melways has an equivalent

Option 6: Melways on your Pocket PC

Personally I'm sold on options 3 & 4
  5. Oh my god how could I forget!!!!!

Option 7: Motorcycle Atlas (Australia) - 2nd edn.

But this might not have the street level detail in the city that you want. But it does have some bloody good riding roads (imho there are definately some rippers missing) marked.
  6. I have a Garmin Etrex Legend GPS. It's mounted to the bars via a Garmin cycle mount bracket that the unit clips into.

It has a map in it and you can download other maps to it. It's OK, but the detail is a bit thin. However, when you create a route on the Garmin Mapsource, it is extremely detailed, especially around the city areas (I've only used it in country Victoria and down around Narre Warren to Dandenong.

It has trip computer functions including time to destination, time of arrival at destination, average speed, moving time, and a myriad of other features.

The moving map can be zoomed in or out for more or less detail and to get an overall perspective of where you're at and where you're heading, with pointers showing where you should be going and how far off track you are.

It's monochrome, but it works OK in all light conditions. The unit can be lit but chews through battery power unless you can connect an external supply (not supplied).
  7. Perhaps look at the TomTom Rider GPS specific for motorbikes.

Wonder if anybody has one these? :?:
  8. xxsteve has a pretty schmick unit from memory... might want to send him a PM on that.

EDIT: vtrsteve now known as xxsteve :p