Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Got my Motorbike - Now the Restoration Begins - MORE PICS!!!

Discussion in 'General Motorcycling Discussion' started by tmg, Nov 11, 2006.

1. Well, it's finally happened - I ent up to my Dads place and bought his old motorbike - 1980 CB750F Super Sport. It needs work done to it, but I want to do it as this stuff is fun to me, so it's gonna be interesting to see how it turns out in the end.

Anyway, to satisfy the inquisitiveness of you all, I got some pics for ya :D

2. So, a day to remember, eh??

OK, I owned one of these beasties and let me tell you one thing that will help turn the sow's ear into a silk purse.

Shop around a wrecker and see if you can find an old Honda Gold Wing with an undamaged front end. Insult the guy with a couple of bob and buy the lot. You can bolt the wheel and (much more robust) forks, and double disc brakes straight into the 750 frame, and it will revolutionise the handling and braking. I rode my modified bike back to back with my brother's standard F2 and it was like riding a completely different machine.

But a little TLC will have this quarter-of-a-century veteran looking and going well, I reckon.....
  3. I'll get the basics done first so it runs, then maybe ask around and get those thigns you mentioned. But it does sound good :D anything that helps me to ride better is a +
  4. Looks like uv some ways to go, keep us posted n know how ur going.
    Good luck
  5. If you can't stretch to a new front end then see about chasing down an old univesal fork brace from a wreckers and check the spring sag (maybe some fork spacers).

The front end is the weak point on these :)
  6. Where abouts does a fork brace go? Is it like a strut brace on a car? I don't know how I would check the spring sag - does bouncing on the front do this?

On a lighter note, I used steel wool to rub down the handlebars, front forks, side step assemblies, head light trim, exaust pipes and crash bars and it came up a treat! Looks so much better now.

I still have to strip it to a bare frame, get the frame, swing arm and lower fork housings powder coated (black probably), get all the bushes replaced, get new fork seals, new front brake hande and master cylinder coz the old one's corroded really bad, new clutch handle - maybe.

Get all the cables replaced, check out the wiring loom and battery once I get the key for it off my dad - he recently moved house and everything is still in boxes - so I can unlock and remove the seat, and I need to check if all the electrical circuitry works - blinkers brakes etc...

Gotta get the carbies rebuilt most likely, just to be safe so nothing goes BANG! later on when I am riding somewhere and go to open her up. <ight need new tires, even though the ones on it are new. Definitly need new disc brakes, the rear one is rooted, the front ones might be able to get machined. Pads, well, I'm not sure, they looked alright to me, but if I am getting new discs I'll get new pads too.

Lots of work to do, and I WILL be getting a Haynes Manual on this bike model, so I know what I am needing to do and won't stuff something up.

If anyone else has ANY advice that can help me, please don't hesitate. ATM I am just wanting to get it back to its showroom condition, I will mod it maybe later on down the line when I have ridden it heaps.
  7. Sounds like you already know enough to teach yourself how to fix
    it, but it'll be a long haul so remember these tips:

- Get a place to work that won't be interrupted or fooled with, half a
    garage, or a garden shed with nothing else in it, is ideal. Make it comfy,
    a radio, a little stool, some good lights, so you enjoy being there.

- Inspire yourself, and keep inspiring yourself. Start with pics of your
    dad and his bike when it was newer. Get your favourite blown up, and
    stick it on the wall, to remind you what you are aiming for. Get some
    pics off the net of good standard original bikes, and do the same thing.

- Don't distract yourself from your aim, if you are rebuilding it to ride
    then don't worry about getting every bolt perfect and genuine. Don't
    be intimidated by show bikes built over 20 years that are every bolt
    perfect and genuine. Don't distract yourself with extensively non-standard
    hot bits, they'll eat your budget for breakfast. Get it on the road first,
    then mod, like you said.

Until you do get it on the road and you can then afford the
    goldwing front end, just stick some spacers on top of the fork springs
    and use 15weight oil in the forks. That'll improve them substantially.
    Spring sag is easy, just unload the front suspension and measure
    the length, then put the bike on both wheels and you on it, and measure
    how much the bike sags down. Fronts should sag about an inch, out
    of a typical 5" or so. However, a bike that age will probably sag
    more than halfway just sitting still (!) so you need to put extra
    pressure on the springs by putting spacers in.
  8. Re: Got my Motorbike today (11/11/06)

*looks at pics*

Sheesh, they did things differently back then, ai? :grin:
  9. Re: Got my Motorbike today (11/11/06)

It'd still eat your two fiddy for breakfast, young chap! :p :wink:
  10. I have seen one of these done really nicely, they builder had got Franks Clamps to make him some new ones from billet, that fit the legs of a '98 CB SevenFifty, and had the swing arm braced and widened to take the rear wheel from the same donor - It looked sweet!

Polished bits and a nice original style paint job. Mmmm, shiny things...

I realise that tmg may not be planning to spend that much, but its cerainly food for thought. :grin:
  11. Thanks for the advice Hotcam, it will help me out heaps. From memory it doesn't sag much, if at all, at the moment :D so thats ok, but i will still check it anyway and will buy some fork oil too.

I got the whole backyard to play with when I am doin the really messy stuff, and some of the patio when I am doing things that don't involve fliuds - brake fliud, oil etc etc - as my mum would hit the roof! (I already spilt a tiny bit of brake fluid on the pavers, but my mum hasn't seen it yet \\:D/)

I spent the whole day on it today working on it. Man it's cool spending time outside :LOL:, but I haven't spent the WHOLE DAY outside for a loooong time :LOL:

I'll take some pics again to show you all how it's coming along - this could end up being a loooong thread. :LOL:
  12. Would this white vinigar also clean the corrosion on the pistons?
  13. Yeah you gotta be a member. But I've already pre-ordered the manual, so I ain't gonna back out getting it now. Thankyou for the links tho, looks to be a lot of manuals on the site :)

I prefer a book to read instead of printing out loads of pages. Just my choice, but thanks again mate :wink:
  14. Got my Haynes manual today, YAY! :grin:. I spent the afternoon cleaning the rear shocks up and took the rear wheel off as well. It's starting to "get going" and it's sorta scary coz I've never done it before.

Will probably start labelling stuff so I don't lose it and also start identifying parts using the manual coz the cross-sectional drawing are awesome and note each part and what it does. I think I may be missing a few engine pieces - will check this out tomorrow.

Once I get the front wheel off I am gonna take both wheels to the bike shop and get some new brake discs and sprocket (should I wait to do this until it's ALL done?). Can I upgrade the front discs to cross-drilled ones? Like that off a CBR? might wanna know, so I can have the best braking ability. If I can't then maybe the Goldwing brakes will be better.

I measured the front discs and they are too skinny to be machined so they HAVE to be replaced, which is a bit disapointing but oh well. I tried to take the dash off today, but wasn't sure how to, but will read on what I gotta do in the manual.

That's it for now, plenty more to come. Haynes Manuals make things so much easier :grin:.

*EDIT* I am looking at wreckers to get an engine now. I just want to get it on the road then I can concerntrate on saving money to get the engine that's in pieces rebuilt sometime in the future. How much should it cost to get it rebuilt though? My motorbike instructor at Pro-Griffin quoted that it would cost around 3 grand for a full rebuild. What price is the right price?
  15. OK got some more pics for ya'all and it really is going now, done alot on it in the last week so that's great.

Anyway, enjoy...C&C welcome.

The Engine is on the Back bench - Furthurest from the camera and just outside the left boundry of this shot...

...and the right of this shot.

One thing I always think whenever I walk into the shed and see all the stuff that came off the bike is "how the heck did they get it all in there in the first place?!" The amount of stuff a bike has crammed into it is amazing. :LOL: