Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Got My L's! - nervous as all hell!

Discussion in 'New Riders and Riding Tips' started by thomen, Apr 17, 2008.

1. Hi all!
    i got my L's this week on monday and tuesday but even after those 2 days i really wouldn't feel too confident riding on the road in traffic and stuff.. any suggestions on tips to improve confidence..

HART in St Ives were awesome they explained everything so well and it felt really good to be on a bike but didn't stop me shaking like a leaf!

those little honda CBF's were good to learn on
  2. There's no reason you have to go near traffic yet. Go on the back roads, pull over if cars are coming until you feel less nervous.
  3. i was thinking of riding to and from the shops via the backroads for a couple of days because there are all the traffic signs and a roundabout and stuff but the only prob is to get to work involves some major traffic and an 80 zone.. would you suggest trying to ride to work at night or really early in the morning when there's little to no traffic to get confidence up?
  4. I wouldn't even think about riding to work for a couple weeks. Just spend as much time as you can around the back streets so that your actions start to become automatic on the bike, e.g. you don't have to think about what is required to bring the bike to a stop at a stop sign, you just do it and are therefore able to pay attention to what is happening around you.

Then try riding in light-medium traffic, maybe on the weekend on at night.

Then you can think about facing heavy (or heavier) traffic during your commute.
  5. Find some new suburbs being built and ride around them. I've been making a list of ones around Canberra to do this. Large, empty car parks are also good for learning.

It's a pain in the arse, as you want to get on the road and go, but a little patience is a great investment.
  6. +1

Stay in your comfort zone, however small it is. It'll grow. You've got a lifetime to get really good ... unless you leave that comfort zone too suddenly.
  7. In the beginning I was nervous like that too... Every time I got on my bike my heart would race like crazy and I could feel the adrenalin rushing through my body.

Just take it slow and don't get frustrated if you feel hopeless at times. I found that that scared feeling you get disappears quicker than you think it will.
  8. I passed last month and was in same situation. All still very fresh.

The above suggestions are great.
    I would add that sitting on your bike and getting very familiar with the switchgear in advance of riding will take some thought process out of your initial riding. This helped me quite a bit on my GS500F. Nothing worse than fiddling for an indicator button which could 'side track' your mind.

Riding on back streets (even at night time) is a great confidence booster. Ride slowly and remember all those key things...Head up, look where you want to go etc...
    Empty car parks practicing the slow stuff=invaluable

Good luck.
  9. thanks all for the really helpful suggestions... i think they all sound really good! i have some big car parks near me too and i can get to them via back streets...

i liked the comment on waiting until that automatic reaction on doing things kicks in because at the moment i guess where most of my nervousness comes from is conciously thinking about what i need to do in certain situations.. ill keep you all posted once i get my own bike (ive been borrowing one) and thanks again! :grin:
  10. Where abouts in Sydney are you ,if your close to someone here they might meet up with you and help you out alittle.
  11. yeah, what he said.
  12. As most have said, no rush to get into mainstream traffic. I took amost 2 weeks before I was game enough to brave it out there.
  13. So you are nervous as hell????

Good. It will make you pay attention to what you have been taught and be alert.

That wasn't meant to be a nasty comment but an honest one. Too many new learners get too complaicent with there new found abilities. I have only been riding for about 5 months and I was scared sh@#less when I first went out. I am still nervous sometimes.

Take your time and don't push it. Yet.

Good luck
  14. I got my Ls in the last week of Feb this year. I did the empty'ish new suburb streets for hours to get used to my bike, being so exposed (no cage), moving my head around with the helmet on, you know... to get used to it all in general.

Then started riding in a little heavier traffic and last weekend I did my first main arterial road ride, even though it was the weekend (no big semi's). Had my wife in the car behind me the whole way haha!! :LOL: I rode from the Hills District to Hornsby Heights going along Pennant Hills Rd.

Like previous posts says, the confidence grows a little with each ride. My take offs were shocking, I was guaranteed to stall on nearly every ride. But the Pennant Hills Rd ride - no stalls at all...WOOHOO! I had a quiet private celebration when I got home :grin:

On to another point. Others here have said they lane filtered on day one or within a short time of getting their Ls. I don't understand how they are able to do it. I still haven't and am not rushing to do it... guess it is a confidence thing?!
  15. Been there, done that Thomen. Hit your local streets when they are quiet. I did most of my first rides at night! Even getting the bike up to 50 kph was daunting in local streets. Just keep doing laps in the quiet streets avoiding stop signs and traffic, then work on a streets with a stop sign, then light traffic etc etc. You get the drift, build it up real slow, learning's not a race it's a process.

And like everyone else suggests, find a carpark or street in a new subdivision where there are no houses or activity (especially early Sunday morning) and practice till your bored!

Expect some stuff-ups, but when you get back home, you'll feel pumped for having got through it.
  16. Im honestly not dogging people off, but my first day, first ride, i rode from haberfield (eastern suburbs sort of) to eastern creek and back. In total i did around 200 kms on my first day, and felt fine all day. I didnt seem to have the confidence issues. I am by no means saying that everyone should, take it at your own pace, and listen to the people on this forum, they know what they are saying.

Just to repeat myself, take it at your own pace, and you'll learn quickly, even at night time which is a really good time, it akes you more alert to riding, cause you have to look out just that little bit more.

Good luck with it mate.

17. thanks all so very much for the helpful suggestions.. i really liked alot of your attitudes and yes i agree being scared will keep me more alert to whats going on...

to the backstreets it is and slowly (very slowly) yet surely i think ill become more comfortable with the concepts taught but never complacent i think being a cager too long gives you too much of a false sense of security and to be on a bike is something that has the potential to be so enjoyable but by the same token i think always in the back of my head ill have a real sense of fear but with experience translate it into awareness and riding safely i hope it all pans out!

thanks again all i really appreciate having a forum like this for advice and cheers for taking the time out of your day to help a newbie out...