Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Got my first nod from another rider!

Discussion in 'New Riders and Riding Tips' started by agrojim, Apr 29, 2012.

1. Howdy,
    I know it's lame but this really made my day!
    My second day of riding my new bike. A gorgeous sunny saturday morning cruising along the coastline up here in Darwin. There were quite a few bikes out and if I thought they had noticed me I'd give a little nod or a wave...
    After a few unreturned gestures I figured maybe the bike culture was a little different up here than what I've read about down south.
    The next thing I know, I've spotted a guy on a gorgeous R1 coming towards me.
    Before I could get a little nod away he nodded first. It was so cool being acknowledged as a fellow rider. 20 odd years driving cars, looking out of my cage at riders and wishing I was one of them. Now I am.
    As I said, it probably sounds lame but feeling like a part of the riding community hit me on that ride.
    Only 10 minutes later another rider gave a nod before I did and proved it wasn't a fluke. lol
    Anyway, here's a pic of one of my stops as a reward for listening to my ramblings.

• Like Like x 3
  2. this is great news jim.
    hows your nod comming along by the way ?
    it took me years to perfect my own signature nod.
    even now i still don't quite get it right sometimes.
    just practice practice practice.
    • Like Like x 3
  3. [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]
    • Like Like x 2
  4. Ha!
    Yeah I'm still working on it. Along with the forward tilt I'm working on a subtle tilt to the left leading with my chin. It's a work in progress.
    • Like Like x 1
  5. #5 tiggers, Apr 29, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 24, 2015
    Try the Scandinavian flick

6. I reckon I ban agrojim now and be done with it for starting a nod thread yet again.
    All those who agree please nod.
    • Like Like x 6
  7. Avert your eyes children, he may take on other forms.
  8. Err... he's got 9 posts, had a bike for a few days, and would have never seen a nod thread before (they seem to policed pretty well by some mod). How about you give him a break and just close the thread?
  9. Damn smee, I think you just trolled me :(

10. When out riding on a nice day and feeling pretty good it is always nice to see others out and about too and saying hello (nod or wave) and being waved back can just be the cherry on top can't it??

Welcome Jim to the wonderful world of motorcycling, there is a lifetime of enjoyment to be had... Just don't forget to keep nodding :beer:
  11. ...................

12. [​IMG]
  13. Oops what have I done? Ha Ha.
    It was never my intention to start a thread on nodding etiquette or techniques...

I was just happy to feel like one of the guys.
    Oh well, I'm going for a ride!
  14. I was going to nod to your post but I don't nod to 250 riders.
  15. Don't feel bad agrojim,

And don't worry about Smee he loves a good nodding thread. He may protest but that is simply because he is a closet nodder who isn't quite ready to come out yet.

I suspect it is because deep in the closet he is working on a really special nod that is really going to turn heads ( up and down).
    • Like Like x 2
  16. Smee does seem to have an impressive array of nodding gifs, perhaps he is studying them.
    • Like Like x 1
  17. [​IMG]
  18. I notice that tapatalk does support the nod.
    • Like Like x 1
  19. #20 Reesa, May 1, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 24, 2015
    No need to be exclusive, girls can nod too you know.