Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Got my first bike, GPX250R

Discussion in 'New Riders and Riding Tips' at netrider.net.au started by Milpool, Feb 24, 2016.

1. I bought my first bike today; a red GPX250R with silver flames on the side :p In really good condition except for a slight dent in the petrol tank. Took it for my first ride today and kept forgetting to turn indicators off haha. Apart from that had a lot of fun with it just in the back streets around my house. Going to be doing that a few times I think to get comfortable before going out in traffic.

• Like Like x 2
  2. Congrats,

Failure to turn off indicators is a pretty common Learner fault but remember it does mislead motorists as to what you are doing and that can be fatal. Sticking to quiet back streets until you are comfortable on your bike and can stop and take off without stalling is a good idea.

When you do finally venture into traffic, start with light traffic. Don't immediately dive into crowded areas in peak hour. build up slowly.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Put a pic up mate, might be my old bike

4. congrats on the bike :)

• Like Like x 1
  5. Congrats, pic please. Did you end up buying dealer or private?

6. Welcome MilpoolMilpool. Tootling around home is a very good method. I go past the same corners 3 years later & think "Wow!, why did that corner give me so much trouble" - cause we all have a lot to learn. Practice you emergency stops too - carefully.

Then hassle the local Brissie Netriders for a learners ride somewhere.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Sorry guys, I'll get a photo up tonight. I bought it privately because I couldn't find anything worthwhile from a dealer at my price range. It's in really good condition though and I'm loving it, can't wait to take it out again tonight.

Definitely going to go slow with this before heading out into traffic.

8. #8 Milpool, Feb 25, 2016
    Last edited: Feb 25, 2016
    GPX250r_zpsi5tethuq.

I think that photo should work, I'm having a bit of trouble getting it to work with dropbox.

So I had my first decent ride of it tonight. Indicating is much much better, only messed up a couple of times. I stalled twice too which was embarrassing. Now though I have realised that I lean on the handlebars too much, so I'm getting sore hands and throttle control could be smoother. So working on that now as well.

Now the weird thing for me is going from a car that redlines at about 6k to a bike that does it at 12k. When shifting I kept gears to be about what I would have them in at a certain speed in my car i.e. 3rd at about 50kph then moving into fourth at around 60kph. so the revs sit around 5k to 6k. Is this right or should I be in lower gears?

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 1
  9. Nup

They like to rev, staying around 5-6 you aren't making the most of the power band.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Fixed it!

11. They're a great little bike I had a green one a few years ago.

• Like Like x 1
  12. You might need to resubmit your showcase item, it was empty.

13. when you are starting out, keeping to lower revs will make it much more sedate and manageable, but not so good for hills.
    it should start picking up a lot around 7k, and should rev out to 14k. I still remember first time I gave it some beans and took it (zzr250) to higher revs :D (seems so slow now, but not back then)

at 5k it is probably quite doughy with no guts.. try cruising at 60 in different gears and see how it feels, but don't be afraid to rev it :)
    pretty soon you'll be changing at 13-14k off every lights.
    fwiw at 100ish, the engine will be cruising at 8k+rpm.. and happy to do so all day..

• Winner Winner x 1
  14. Thanks for the advice! Towards the end I took off in first and changed at around 11k and I could definitely feel the difference in acceleration; I've never got to 60kph so fast in my life.

Knowing it sits at 8k on the highway makes me feel better about leaving it in a lower gear. So thanks for that.

• Like Like x 1
  15. Congrats on your new bike - hope you have lots of fun learning to ride her.

• Like Like x 1
  16. When you're ready for a ride out and about to the fun roads post up and you should be able to find someone to share the road with.

17. I feel a little bit bad cruising above 8-9k, but 7k+ is the sweetspot :)

I may have misinformed you.. it might redline around 13k.. go by your tacho red area at first.. later you can find the rev limiter yourself :) but power will probably decrease after about 13k rpm anyway

What's the redline of my bike's engine? - Ninja250Wiki
    at least for US models

The point at which the IC igniter begins cutting spark, by year:
    1988-1995: 15,500 RPM
    1996-2005: 14,500 RPM
    2006-->: 14,000 RPM

18. Ignore the rev counter, feel the bike. When you get used to it you'll knows when to change.

Attached Files:

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. Stalling.
    Like all things motorcycling, practice makes perfect so practice coming to a stop and then taking off again. Fina a quiet street , take off and go up through the gears a change or two and then bring the bike to a stop (checking the mirrors carefully for cars following too close), then take off again. Repeat 50 times. Remember taking off is best learnt in a quiet street where a stall is not as critical as when you are in traffic.

Revs and changing gear
    Apart from the fact that different bikes have different ranges (my bike red lines about 7000) even just for your bike there is not a single answer. Generally you will change earlier and at lower revs when you are cruising off the line and hold each gear longer and change at higher revs when you are racing off. However as you say your bike revs much higher than a car and some of its power is only coming in at the higher revs. Similarly if I am faffing along on an empty street I am likely to be in a higher gear than when I am surrounded by traffic as in the later case I will be holding a lower gear to let me accelerate out of trouble if I need to.

Generally speaking you will probably need to be in the middle half of the rev range. If your bike revs to 13K the middle half is about 3.5K to 9K. Towards the bottom part of the range the bike will have less pulling power and if you feel like you are chugging, change a bit higher. But a little experimenting will also show what works.

In terms of taking off though most new riders will give hardly any revs and are possibly using only a fraction of their throttle. The issue is not only about when to change but how fast you get to the change point. Lets assume we decide we are going to change at 6K. If we take off on minimum throttle it could all day to get to 6K (OK Slight exaggeration to make a point) but give it a handfull and you will hit 6K in a second or two. A handy thing to remember when you have a car up your arse and want to get a bit of space between you.

A final thing about revs to consider is that you probably don't change down at the same revs as you changed up. Generally you will change up at a higher point rev point to get the bike going but coming down this can cause engine lock (we can discuss blipping later) so you will probably change down at a lower rev point.

Hope some of that makes sense.

• Winner Winner x 1