Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Got cleaned up last night

Discussion in 'Your Near Misses - A Place to Vent' started by Man Hands, Oct 11, 2012.

1. Hey guys,

I had a pretty serious stack last night. I was riding down Lonsdale St coming up to the King St intersection and a black Mercedes pulled a right turn directly in front of me. It happened so quickly it's hard to piece together. But from what I can tell I didn't get much braking done before I hit and I think after I hit the side of the car it ran over my legs which is what did most of the damage.

I was wearing an astars textile jacket, gloves and sidi full length boots, but only normal jeans. Major injuries are a shattered left patella and ligament damage to both knees which will both require reconstructions. Other than that my gear did its job, shoulder is a bit sore and i have some minor road rash on my legs but that's it. I'm pretty convinced that my boots saved my feels and lower legs from getting properly fuxored.

I'm gonna be laid up in hospital for quite a while and won't be able to walk for 3 months. The nurses at the hospital are awesome and the paramedics were legends....definitely taking some beers round to those guys when I can walk again. Also the witnesses first the scene were great, I was in agony and they did their best. There was a rider behind me on a blue bike which I think was a firestorm.....first thing I saw when I looked up after the crash was this guy running across a busy intersection towards me with no regard for his own safety. Mate on the off chance you are reading this your are a goddam legend - thank you.

Anyway, the dorsoduro is gonna be a write off, the car driver has been charged with failure to give way after witnesses corroberrated my version of events, and I'm gonna be walking again hopefully in three months.

Oh and I thought the TAC advertisements in the hospital corridors were a nice touch....because when I'm writhing in agony what I really want is to be preached to about speeding. Stay classy TAC.
  2. Shit go bud glad your staying in good spirits about it all...hopefully the time flies for ya
  3. Sweet Jeebus. Glad to hear you made it alive and in one piece. The fact that you have good witnesses is also a relief.

Heal well, and rest easy.
  4. Ouch! Hope surgery goes well and all the best for a speedy recovery. As mentioned above, great to see you in good spirits. BTW are the nurses hot?
  5. Well fruck!

Sounds like you're in the perfect frame of mind to deal with something so serious. Good luck during your recovery and here's hoping you're able to get back on the horse without too much time off.

All the best.
  6. Damn, that sucks. Heal well mate.
  7. Sorry to read about your accident man. It's good to know that people are still willing to help a fellow human.

Heal up and take care.
  8. Too bad mate, and best of luck.

Merc was probably off to the Men's Gallery... or just leaving :)
    • Like Like x 1
  9. Bummer, enjoy the nurses and morphine.
  10. Bummer! Hope you get better soon. Damn shame - right at the start of the riding season too, dammit!

Bastard merc driver!
  11. Wow. Glad to hear you're still with us. Also sounds like there wasn't much more you could do for your legs except wear plate mail.
  12. Bad luck buddy, hope it all works out ok for you, stay loose and get out of there asap.
  13. So sorry to hear mate, it sounds like it was horrific. It's great the driver was charged but I'm guessing that doesn't make a whole lot of difference to how you feel. Keep your spirits high, keep your friends and family close and do your best to get out of hospital as soon as you can.

Keep us posted about your recovery.
  14. hope hospital is quick and not to boring for you mate!
  15. Thinking of you mate.

Such bad circumstances, I can not even imagine how you must be feeling.

It sounds as though you were fed a shit sandwich and you could do little or nothing but eat it.

Best of luck on your recovery.
  16. That's fcked.
    Mate of mine got cleaned up by a Tourak tractor at that very intersection last year.

Good luck with the recovery.
  17. Frack!!! That's shocking.

Mend quickly mate.
  18. Fudging merc drivers! Heal up and enjoy the meds.
  19. Feel for you mate. I was in a lesser incident with a car last year and it gives you the shits your life is disrupted because of someone elses numptiness. What makes it worse is they are cruising along with little down sides.

Anyway, get better.
  20. Wow, that's awful. Bloody Hell, hope the healing is swift, and the pain eased by lots of good drugs. Best wishes to you...