Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Got broke 50km from home. What you gonna do, Netrider?

Discussion in 'New Riders and Riding Tips' started by Temich, Sep 12, 2013.

1. Hey guys

I've just got home after 5km walk with my 250kg bike on 1st gear and flat back tyre.

While walking this question came to mind: what if it has happened 50km away? 100? What if the engine is down and doesnt want to start?

stupid rule to get pros from everything:
    1. got practiced staying in friction zone heaps! :]
    2. meet two bike riders who were kind and stopped to ask what has happened
  2. I'd get it towed...
    • Agree Agree x 2
  3. firstly i wouldn't subject a rim/flat tyre to the pressure of 230kgs pushing/riding it the 5 kms.

secondly...if i'm by myself, i'd move the bike off the road and hide it well (we've all heard stories of bikes left on the side of the road being stolen) then make calls to taxi company to be picked up....or use phone to call closest mechanic or service station (if it's bumfcuk nowhere the station attendant might well know someone that can help transport your bike to town.)

the joy of smart-phones and the internet eh? ....failing that there could always be using call-connect to find local mob and be connected through.

there is also a small number of companies that specifically cater to transporting motorbikes - a few of them are brought up when stranded riders post on the sydneys riders facebook page.
  4. I'd call a mate/my boyfriend and get them to come get me & bike. And pay for fuel if necessary lol
    • Like Like x 1
  5. #5 cjvfr, Sep 13, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 13, 2013
    Carry a Tyre repair kit
    Keep a few bike recovery companies in your phone contacts.
    As you are in NSW the Motorcycole Council of NSW has some options.
    Rely on a mate with a trailer.
    If you are traveling off the beaten track, there are some great motorcycle roads that traffic is very light, phone coverage is minimal and you are a long way from help, ride with someone. as your wingman/winggirl.
    • Like Like x 1
  6. I happened to be riding home one night a few months ago on the Spada. This was during the whole cafe racer conversion process. The repair/cafe racer thing. Anyway during testing, at like 12am at night, I was about 5 km from home. Then bang red and blue lights in the mirror; highway patrol yo!

Thirty minutes later I know have a defect notice. And a fine. And a yellow canary sticker. Plus I'm not allowed to ride it home. That's a story for a whole different thread. Anyway, I don't have a phone on me. And obviously the copper denies giving me a lift to a servo (to replace a brake light), so I'm walking. Fair enough.

Side of pascoe vale rd, backpack on, helmet locked, and walking. Begin the 5km walk back home. fcuk.

But then a ute pulls up. Two guys inside, "what's going on"?

"Defect notice; I'm walking", I say

"Where are you heading?"

"Throw the bike in the back. Let's go"

So I did. They helped me load the Spada on the back of the ute, we had some pretty conversation (both of them were riders), and I got home in one piece.

I was lucky.
  7. It sounds crazy, but I've thought about this a lot, and I'm enough of a twat to take my bike on the train with me home. There's a train station close by to everywhere in Melbourne! (y)
    • Like Like x 1

8. Would the Police look after it? Just wondering if I could walk it to a local police station and say I'll be back tomorrow with a trailer. She just got a flat/engine seized or whatever and I can't afford a tow truck currently.
    • Funny Funny x 1
  9. at the least i'd suspect they'd be ok with you leaving the bike out the front (would deter most thieves.)
  10. No they wouldn't 'look after it'
    If you parked it legally and collected it the next day fine.
    But don't expect them to be concerned about it.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  11. Come on man, as a Minmatar you should be prepared when things fall apart. Trust in the Rust can only get you so far
  12. Two months ago I rode home from Seymour with a flat rear. Stopped in Seymour to get it fixed, but Bridgestone did a shit job and it was flat 10ks later. Wasn't too bad on the GS500, obviously wasted the tyre, but that was a decision I made.

Same thing happened on the ninja on fathers day. No such luck riding that on a flat. Tyre's too wide and moves around too much. Petrol station hopped filling with air from Pakenham to Dandenong to a mates puncture repair kit. Got me home, but still had to replace the tyre. Puncture kits are gold, but having said that, I needed to drill the hole out to 5mm and inflate the tyre while pushing the plug in. Not looking forward to trying it without tools in the middle of nowhere.
  13. Thirty minutes later I know have a defect notice. And a fine. And a yellow canary sticker. Plus I'm not allowed to ride it home. That's a story for a whole different thread. Anyway, I don't have a phone on me. And obviously the copper denies giving me a lift to a servo (to replace a brake light), so I'm walking. Fair enough.

So they defected it and left you stranded because your brake light failed,thats pretty perthic.You must have struck a lovely bloke.On long trips I carry a 16mm braided steel sling to padlock the bike to something not easily cut down.Not easy to cut a sling,unless you have a battery powered angle grinder.Sent bikes home on the train as well but I don't think you let you do that anymore.Had a mate pick me up at Tathra for Sydney as well.Love old Italian bikes.
  14. One of our fellow Netriders rang me on friday night asking for a tow (I won't mention his name as he has chosen not to post what happended that night).

Long story short, he was stopped by the Police who ordered him to leave the bike at the side of the Old Road and refused to give him a lift to anywhere or to assist with the numbers for a tow etc.

If the Police defect you or you incurr an instant ban you are on your own.
  15. I'd call http://www.motorcyclerescue.com.au/

They towed my Ninja last week and I can thoroughly recommend.

Also if you're within the boundaries of Avalon -> Sutherland -> Penrith, towing anywhere within those boundaries is $90 flat fee. So Avalon to Sutherland $90.... Bondi to Penrith, $90.

16. I get that you don't want to tell us who it was, but you can't leave us hanging on what happened. I still need to make plans for tonight and whatever-it-was might be a good idea!
  17. I believe it's being appealed so sorry there will be no details forthcoming.
  18. To the OP

learn to fix a flat yourself, and carry the gear needed to do it. Unless the tyre is shredded in which case not much you can do here. (check out youtube!!!, tubeless tyres a sh*t easy to repair, tubed take a bit more work)
    I know many riders both newbies and those who have been riding for a long while, could not repair a flat, by the side of the road.
    I compare this to learning to change a tyre on your car.
    (I myself, would be embarrassed if I couldn't repair a flat; however, I live in the sticks so it is a bit of necessity here.)

regarding distance; if within 100km of home, I'd try a mate with a ute or trailer (depending how good of mate's you have as to how far they'd travel:) )
    Other than that, you either have to join a roadside assist program, or stash the bike and get yourself home to return for it later.
    • Like Like x 1
  19. I carry puncture repair equipment and a compressor 100% of the time, along with some basic tools. If it can't be fixed on the side of the road, out with the phone and dial roadside assistance.

Since moving to Tassie I was pleased to note that RACT membership covers me and the vehicle I am traveling in/on. Bike, car, I can even be a passenger. I recall back in the ACT, NRMA was per-vehicle and I had dedicated motorcycle roadside assistance through a third-party.

I'm a qualified mechanic, and I like to think I maintain all my vehicles very well. But the unexpected can always happen.

I think of roadside assistance as insurance. Some people choose to go without insurance. Their choice, and their loss to cover if something happens to their bike. Roadside assistance? If someone doesn't have it, it's their hole to dig themselves out of. (I don't mean that to be as harsh as it comes across.)

That being said, on a group ride last year I repaired a punctured rear tyre for a friend out in the middle of nowhere. His tyre pressure monitor alerted him to the loss of pressure. Fixed, and we were on our way again. Interestingly, he now carries puncture repair gear.