Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Got any suggestions on how to get rid of a swarm of bees???

Discussion in 'General Motorcycling Discussion' started by pvda, Nov 1, 2005.

1. A large swarm of bees has taken residence in a bush in the front yard this morning.
    Anyone got any idea's on how to encourage them to leave?

Do I;
    - Invite netrider over for a party and try to scare them off?
    - Grab a can of fly spray & a lighter and play flame thrower?
    - Find a fire hose and stand well back?
    - Just leave them alone for a few days and they'll work out I'm not a very good neighbour and leave by themselves?

Seriously, me thinks the local council will point me towards a local bee keeper or pest control company but I'm favouring the flame thrower idea at present :LOL:
  2. Go for the bee keeper. If they have established a nest, the bee keeper will relocate it somewhere safe. None of the other ideas will work and you'll only end up living with angry bees.

Alternatively, you could invest in some mesh clothing and a smoker, then enjoy fresh honey for years to come. :)
  3. this really should be a poll but in my experience i've found that the combination of petrol and fire will usually get rid of anything :)
  4. Im right with ya on the flame thrower idea, thats my fix for most things... although one of me mates oldies got someone in to do it and they were really effective, no idea of cost though...

But then again im sure youve been waiting for a good excuse to get the flame thrower happenin :twisted: :twisted:
  5. Oooooh not angry bees :LOL:

Sure itll work, and if its not it just means you need more flamage is all... Fire fixes all problems...
  6. Speaking for the Hornets (distant cousins) I say leave 'em alone!!!
  7. Re: Got any suggestions on how to get rid of a swarm of bees

I had a hive form at the back of my old house. They weren't harmful i just let them bee...

Within a week tho ants had worked out that honey was being stashed in their hive and they formed a big conga line and just went in and took it all.. .The bee's were pretty annoyed that day so i didn't go out back then, but they nicked off pretty quick when they worked out they could do nothing to the ants lol
  8. groan

I should tell you to buzz off after a joke like that...... :LOL:

9. Lol, I think your puns are rubbing off on me mate! :LOL:
  10. Bees like to set up home somewhere dry so if you keep hosing the bush they're trying to inhabit (from a safe distance) then they'll eventually move on and find somewhere else to live - it's worked for me in the past.
  11. Catch the queen (then the others wont bite you). Then put the queen in a match box and place the match box in your mouth, this will allow you to wear the rest of the hive as a beard of bees.
    Then you should be able to make a nice living touring with a freak show and end up marrying a midget who can juggle even smaller midgets.

leave them alone until it rains and they go away

cut off the branch and let it drop into a box, then wait until after dark and close up the box and take it more than 6 miles away. The bees will then take up residence in the box and you can keep them for making honey and noise.

Start charging them rent

Move into your neighbours house. When they question you as to what you are doing, tell them to get out of your house.

(I must mention that I little about bees, freak shows, midgets and your neighbours)

Hope this helps.
  12. I tried the flyspray flame thrower idea once, on a big spider that had strung a web between two poles on the pergola on my parents house.

They had left me the house for the weekend so I could have a party to farewell myself from my old job. (First and last time they did it!).

Anyways, after a few drinks it seemed like a great idea at the time. I sprayed the flame thrower horizontally at the spider in 3 short bursts.

End result: 1 very burnt spider, and a massive hole in the shadecloth covering the verander above it.

The next day was spent, very hungover, making trips to the hardware store and onto the pergola for some hasty (but invisible, they still don't know) repairs.

Morale of the story: Heat rises!

As for the bees, I once found spraying water at them sends them away. They came back the next day, but after spraying them again, they cleared off for good.

13. Ring an Apiarist (bee keeper) or ring council, they'll contact one.
    Apiarist will collect the hive for free, cos it'll add to his working population.

That's what I did.

If you get a greedy Apiarist, and he/she wants to charge you a removal fee, tell em you want payment for the bees... or they can put em back, and you know excatly how many there were, and the name of each one!!

14. pour petrol in their hive. probably best to do it at nite since all the bees will b there. dont light the petrol tho...the fumes will b enough to kill them
  15. Dont light the petrol????? Are you crazy?

Dont listen to him, HES obviously nuts :p :LOL: :LOL:
  16. But where's the Ka-boom? There's supposed to be an earth shattering Ka-boom! :LOL:
  17. [/quote]But where's the Ka-boom? There's supposed to be an earth shattering Ka-boom! Laughing
  18. jes i made a mess of that
  19. Re: Got any suggestions on how to get rid of a swarm of bees

Absolutely leave em alone. They are migrating. They will go. If they were in a chimney, perhaps discourage them with a little smoke. They have the queen with them and are looking for a new place. They will not attack in this way unless seriously provoked.

Don't kill them. We desperately need them for gardens etc.
  20. just leave em but if you are worried get the pro's in mate..