Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Goodwood Revival on One

Discussion in 'The Pub' started by Ljiljan, Jan 10, 2010.

1. Anyone watch it? Sensational!

My favourite car racing has always been the classic cars, always full of action and not the procession that todays racing is. The Mini's were simply excellent, those cars are hilarious.
  2. Santa brought me the DVD if the 2008 event last Xmas. I particularly enjoyed the Austin A35 that insisted on using the brakes of the Austin Westminster in front instead of his own, finally rolling the Westie at the Bus Stop :grin:.

When I lived in the UK, I always enjoyed VSCC events, particularly their handicap races, which would see, for example, the towering 1903, 60hp Mercedes (capable of 80+ mph with its motorway sprockets on) surrounded by hot Austin 7s (any one of which could explode at any moment), being closed upon by the Napier Bentley whose power and torque so massively outstripped its chassis and tyres that it would traverse the entire start-finish straight at Silverstone pointing at 30 degrees to its direction of travel.

Aah, real motor racing :grin:.
  3. The Austin 7 club All Historic Winton meeting at the end of May is well worth going to, even the car park is a highlight.
  4. :facepalm::facepalm: Can't believe i missed it. Hopefully it'll be repeated.
  5. Tell me about it, the Mini race was spectacular, cars running three abreast into a corner, pushing and shoving each other off the track, cars running in and out overtaking left right and centre, the whole time running absolutely flat out. Was just as entertaining as any bike race I have seen.
  6. As someone who was born in the first half of last century and who had the privilege of seeing the "greats" like Jim Clark, Graham Hill, Jack Brabham and their ilk racing, first hand, I can tell you that nostalgia IS what it's cracked up to be...
  7. I started during the Formula 5000 era of the mid 70's.

Those beasts still impress me every time I see them racing.
  8. Oh, yeah, I loved them. Didn't Bruce Allison from Qld have one that was done in black and gold like the old Lotus 72's used to be?
  9. You're testing me now RC.

If I get a chance I'll fish out some of my old books and check (no promises though).

Check this site out;

Some great old bike pics as well as lots of car racing pics to enjoy.
  10. Oh yeah, I've been there. What a treasure trove that site is!!