Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

good sports oriented 250 for older learner

Discussion in 'Bike Reviews, Questions and Suggestions' started by chriskerr, Jan 14, 2008.

1. Gday all Im new here and after a bit of advice on a bike..

I'm after some info on some appropriate bike models in the 250cc range with a sport/tourer orientation, hopefully in the 1995 year model or beyond (I will be looking at something with respectable km's!) I want to spend 2000 to 3000 as i plan on upgrading within a few months.

Some history for you all! Im 32 years old have ridden dirt bikes my whole life but never on the road (although have ridden large capacity sportbikes on tarmac occasionaly ) I have recently decided (or my wife gave in) that I would like to start road riding and doing a few rides with mates and family.

While Im in NSW and could under law pass the P's test and jump straight to any bike, Im rather keen to do some riding as an L plater to get to know the road before jumping into anything! so a 250 seems the most sensible option, and as the majority of the inital riding will be in Sydney traffic I see little need for anything bigger until I build confidence. By the way I was really impressed with the "Stay Upright" learner course here in NSW, car drivers should be made to do similar ones... but thats off topic.

so any recomendations? stuff that I have looked include the GPX, FXR, ZZR etc in the 250 range, anyone have thoughts on what to look out for in these models, expected km's and if possible thoughts on their suitability for me? I'm around 6ft and 95kg's.

thanks ahead and looks like a great forum.

2. Welcome to Netrider, and to the tarmac (gotcha, Joel :LOL:).

Normally I'd suggest you get a Honda Hornet 250, but since you're going to be off-loading it in 3 months, it's not worth it.

Have a look on www.bikesales.com.au or www.bikepoint.com.au and just pick up a runner, would be my advice. Spend plenty on good gear that you can keep through to your full license, though :wink:.
  3. :tantrum: :tantrum: :tantrum:
    i have nothing.
  4. thats the plan a good runner! my gear budget is seperate to this (and probably larger :grin: )