Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Good roads around gisbourne, woodend, bacchus marsh

Discussion in 'Roads, Touring, Journeys, and Travel' started by outactrl, Aug 26, 2005.

1. "Slider" is at work and asked me to post this for him,

He is planning a trip with a few mates this weekend up around gisbourne, woodend, & bacchus marsh and was wondering if anyone has done some riding out that way and could recommend a route.

Any ideas?
  2. Nope, but I've always been fascinated by that name. How DID it get to be called Bacchus Marsh. Bacchus was the Roman god if wine, if I recall!!!
  3. I'd give consideration to the road from Ballan, Greendale and Trentham through the Wombat State Forest. Then onto Tylden and Woodend or left to Daylesford and Malmsbury and then back to Woodened. Potentially fast. :D
  4. Greendale <-> Woodend, via Tylden. Probably the best piece of road in that area. Start in Gisbourne, head-up and around/over Mt. Macedon to Woodend, then down to Greendale, and across back to Gisbourne. Around 200 odd kms.
  5. Captain William Henry Bacchus had the original station in the area.

Sorry if I've destroyed your fantasies.
  6. The road to Trentham is good
  7. My idea was more interesting, but I'm not disappointed!!

Thanks, mate.
  8. Anyone wanting to join in is welcome...heading out from Brunswick around 9-9:30am.
    Meet at Taylors Lakes Mc Donalds at 10am...if your keen let me know on 0412 096 707

9. Would you you lot please stop broardcasting over the internet about the arguabley best roads in the state.
    We in the west are not interested in choked traffic congested roads like the Reefton and Black Spurs.

It's nice to go out for a ride,and have the roads to yourselves...
    Just keep the easterners east of the bridge thanks.

Seriously......Have fun and enjoy.....seriously......
  10. Yeah, Greendale to Tretham rd is great!
  11. im wrkin if not i will be in cos its my town

12. http://www.walkabout.com.au/locations/VICBacchusMarsh.shtml

13. Bacchus Marsh, named not for the ancient Roman and Greek God of Wine but for William Henry Bacchus, one of the district's earliest settlers who brought his flocks of sheep to the marshy flats in the 1830s

hope that helps clear things up 4 ya RC :)