Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Good ride, but so sore after...

Discussion in 'General Motorcycling Discussion' started by Duffman, Jan 12, 2006.

1. Thought i had a really good ride this evvening on a CBR250 i've got in the garage, it was raining and getting dark but i really enjoyed it and everything felt sweet. only one hairy moment when i got a bit heavy on the rear break and it slipped for a few metres or so, but released and re-applied and all was good. Just some gentle cruising round the 'burbs and stopped at a cafe for a coffee.

But when i got off and went to walk inside i could hardly stand up straight my back was so damn sore. My hands were cramping and had a sore butt.

Dont know what was going on but the only thing i could think of was that i was sub-conciously tense about the rain and slippery roads? Or perhaps i was just not used to the bike and riding position (been a few months since i've ridden it). Its now 2hrs later and i'm still struggling. Think i better spend the night on the couch and contemplate life :p [/list]
  2. Perhaps a warm to hot radox bath is in order.
  3. Very different riding position to the scoot, Duffman: you've used some muscles that don't normally use. My remedy would be to ride it again tomorrow :LOL:
  4. It was very wet to day in Perth and yer it could be caused by tension and worring about road conditions. I will agree with Hornet 600 though, If u are not used to the bike then get back on and get your body used to it.
  5. Few basic pointers.

Grip with your knee's not with your arms, you'll have a tendency to lock up your elbows which will just lead to hell on your arms and wrists. You should be able to comfortably let go with your hands and not feel like you're going to fall off.

Bend your back a little. Don't sit upright on the bike and have a slightly curved back. You know the slouching your mum always yelled at you about? Thats about the right posture for riding a bike. If you have you spine straight all the time all the shocks in the road will travel straight up your spine.

Make your wrists lower then your hands. I know it feels awkward at first but thats the correct place for them and will also be the least stressful once you get used to it.

Forgive me if I'm telling you something you already know.
  6. You'll be sore for a day or so. Then it'll go away. Then those muscles will be ready for it next time. Keep riding it every 2 days, or better yet, every day, and by the end of the week you won't be sore any more.