Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Good neighbours are worth their weight in gold!

Discussion in 'Bling and Appearance' started by Chairman, Apr 28, 2007.

1. I've been fiddling with machines since I was a kid but I've decided its time to find out what I'm supposed to be doing, rather than just doing what looks right. So,after 22 years working in welfare and education, I enrolled to do a Diploma of Engineering Technology at TAFE. One night a week for the rest of my life I'll be wading through CAD, machining, mathematics and all the rest. I'll be ready to start an apprenticeship about the same time I'm eligible for a pension.

My next door neighbour is a retired boilermaker and he's always appearing in my shed to see what I'm working on - he's helped me build steam engines, a still, assorted parts for a mate who runs a home brewing shop, bike bits, all sorts of things.

And he always looks around my collection of second-hand tools and says (in a thick Edinburghian accent) "arrrr...I'f aaad nooon yu w'r movin' in, aaad'v kept aaaarrlll ma toooils fur ye". He gave them away when he retired to the young apprentices at work.

Today, he hangs his head over the fence and says "aaaaaar'v go' this wee box..you 'av i' ".

Inside was a Warren and Brown torque wrench (the sort that goes "click"), 3/8 drive, in perfect condition with all its little adaptors and extensions. "Maaaa boss giv i' ta me when aaaaa was 'n apprentice" he says.

So, God bless, you Ron. And thanks.
  2. (snif) that's lovely... :cool:
  3. Too precious to use; mount it on a case and look at it :).
  4. Top bloke - I hope you've given him a slab!

5. i'm sure he would appreciate a fine single malt wiskey alot more :p
  6. Awesome neighbour you have there Chairman :grin:

We have been really lucky with our neighbours over the years too :)
  7. Greater love hath no tradesman, than to be able to pass down his "tools-of-trade" to one who'll appreciate them!! :grin:

Well done .. nice pick-up!!
  8. The tradey passing on his tools is awesome, but he's doin it out of a reverent respect for Chairman whose taken on a pretty awesome undertaking. Go Chairman!
  9. Ah Chairman, the benefits of having a Scotsman as a neighbour. There are only two kinds of people in the world, those that are Scots and those that want to be :p Your accent is terrible by the way :wink:
  10. I envy those who have had good neighbours, especially great old fashioned tradies!
    I've had nothing but asshole neighbours for pretty much 20 years, this place is the first break I've had(mind you, nearest house is 500m away!).
    SOunds like a top bloke, very, very strange for a Scot to give something away though, must be an ulterior motive! (I can say that, have Scottish relatives)

Regards, Andrew.
  11. I raise my lowly Kingchrome Torque wrench in salute to your fabulous nieghbor Ron.

I live next door to some absolute legends. He is a sheetmetal worker/auto electrician (two trades!!) and his wife looks after my dog during the day. He has repaired smashed exhaust cans and welded me up a side gate in half an hour.

I just lift heavy stuff for him...
  12. :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

As long as you bring something to the relationship 'eh. :LOL:
  13. My Father passed his onto me. Its not perfect but like a good book with dog ears, you can tell its been used but well looked after. Between him and me, i coudnt even guess the number of cars and bikes this has been used on. My dad is a one eyed 1/2" drive man.