Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Featured Good ideas that backfired?

Discussion in 'General Motorcycling Discussion' at netrider.net.au started by Nicholai_Chev, May 28, 2015.

1. We have a thread on embarrassing moments, near misses and just about everything else that happens day to day with our bikes. But not one about many of the bright ideas we think of which have backfired catastrophically then been quietly swept under the table.
    I'll start the ball rolling,

In response to scratching up the ignition barrel area on my last bike, I decided to separate the bike-key and attach it to the biggest brightest keyring I could find that wouldn't scratch my new bike. Sounds logical and fair enough!
    Later that day as I'm hanging the washing out, I see this pile of fluff shoot off down the backyard with my keys in its mouth...leading to quite the pursuit across the neighbourhood and over fences. Lesson learned: Don't use fluffy keyrings if you have a cat

cat.

• Funny Funny x 30
    • Like Like x 9
    • Winner Winner x 1
  2. Lovely cat!

• Agree Agree x 4
  3. On a colder morning I decided to leave my bike in neutral with the kickstand down on the steep and cambered street to let the engine warm up while I closed the garage door (GS500's are warm blooded creatures). Bike seemed stable and was pointed uphill, rolled backwards with the kickstand sliding along the asphalt then bam! Luckily it only bent the bars....

• Like Like x 1
  4. Bought the sidecar rig so we could take the puppy with us on rides:

img_0810.

That photo was when he was about 3 months old. Now he has grown up he's too big to fit in:

img_2310.

• Like Like x 12
    • Funny Funny x 10
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  5. I think we need a bigger side car

6. I recon a trailer would be a better choice. :)

7. Crap, that is a BIG dog.

• Agree Agree x 4
  8. He's actually lost 30kg, he did get up to 130kg. Luckily he's just a big softie, well with us anyway.

Another "great" idea, hide the ball behind your back:

img_0611.

• Funny Funny x 5
    • Like Like x 2
  9. Is ... is that a dinosaur?

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. I played the go round a corner progressively faster till I decide enough is enough game. Usually all good; one time the road was a bit rough but whatever it doesn't bite, surely... What actually happened was on the third progression I got belted in the old chap and nearly crashed. Have always gone slow there since.

11. Many many moons ago, I had a putrid smelly helmet due to hours of riding in torrential rain. Used a couple of drops of Nil Odour I thought (don't know if you can still buy it) that'll shift it or mask it so it's bearable. The good well meaning better half then went and put a good dozen drops in the helmet later that evening. Following day I had the worst headache I have ever had and wasn't till I got home discovered the cause

• Funny Funny x 2
  12. Back before I became an ex-smoker (and when putting on and taking off a helmet was still a chore) I thought I could save a couple of minutes by smoking one under the helmet. It took about 10mins for my eyes to recover, and that helmet's linings were never completely lost that stale tobacco stench.

• Funny Funny x 8
  13. Bet you'll never see that warning on a packet of durries

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  14. I had a Great Dane, he weighed 65kg and he was a big dog.

I am Gobsmacked! What breed is he?

15. Mastiff?

I went from riding my motorbike to my bicycle a few months ago and thought: "hey countersteering skills would surely help on this." Wrong. Torque is not something that is easily found on a mountain bike. Once I got the hang of riding that and having the bicycle helmet on I went back on the motorbike. Let's just say never try and spit with a full face helmet on. Car behind me would have seen me freak out and swerve all over randomly.

• Funny Funny x 1
  16. This probably looked like a good idea in somebodies mind ;)

Moped Chopper.

• Funny Funny x 5
    • Like Like x 1
  17. ^^^^ :facepalm: Seriously!

18. I know.. why would you paint your muffler????

and a bigger kitchen? :eek:

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  19. Q3Arena - Maybe someone wasn't getting enough wind up their skirt?

• Like Like x 1
  20. Yep - long haired Old English Mastiff, we did have 4 of them, sadly lost this ones half sister due to medical problems.