Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Good first bike....

Discussion in 'Bike Reviews, Questions and Suggestions' started by RICHOP, Jan 28, 2008.

1. Hi Gang!
    I have just aced my motorbike license... alas I have no ride!
    I am serioulsy considering a Hyosung GT250 or a resricted GT650, I am looking at purchasing second hand so the cc's will depend on availability and price.
    Also given this is my first bike, I guess I dont want to spend a fortune on it as I might find that I am not as in to it as I thought I would be...

In fact I originally went for my license with the idea of getting a 200cc or 250cc Vespa... rode them in Italy and they were great fun...

but the more I have thought about it the more I like the idea of a naked road bike...

Any wise words of wisdom to share?
  2. Yeah, avoid Hyosung
  3. Have a look at the Suzuki GS500, its a popular 500cc nakedbike thats LAMS approved.
  4. If you can find one then go for either a GS500 or ER-5 - proven design and should be more than enough fun to see you through restrictions (and then some).
  5. GS500. Wash your mouth out and don't say the H-word in here again.
  6. +1

Don't think about buying one used. Their build quality is laughable - this doesn't mean that every one will fall apart, not at all! But it does mean the chance of you having alot of issues with it, is unacceptably high. Buying second hand = less or no warranty, so you could be seriously out of pocket.
  7. Get a 250, unless you are very overweight. A second hand Honda Spada would be ok, dont overspend on your 1st bike
    Best size to learn on. Cheaper rego and insurance, well in NSW, not sure about SA, but find out.

If you like riding, some find out they dont, but if you do when you get full licence get a real nice bike. eg GSX1300 or a GSR600 if you like nakeds
  8. do your research on what interests you.. dont rush in, get a pre sales check, buy some gear, dont wear an ipod, ride in the rain slowly, ride on the wheel tracks of the lanes more often, have fun slower, keep a pen, notepad and condoms in the luggage, do your own services and keep her covered, learn the ropes before you jump in and have fun mate...

now is that wisdom or is that wisdom
  9. Hyosungs rock! :grin:

But in a LAMs world I would get a F650 BMW