Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Good engine oil for GPX250

Discussion in 'Bling and Appearance' started by Scottatron, Jul 5, 2006.

1. Hey All,

Just wanting some advice on what type of engine oil would be a good choice for the above bike.

Tis a 2005 model with just about 4000km on the clock.

I am in Melbourne, bike will be kept in a garage but the mornings are still rather nippy!
  2. follow the instructions in the manual as to grade - as for type, you really can't buy a bad oil, and full synthetics are a waste of money for you - have a look at what's on the shelf and vote with your wallet.
  3. Hey mate, i just use the shell advance semi synthetic, its about 10bucks a litre (you need almost 2 litres). I've heard that its ok to use car oil of the correct grade in these becuase 250's dont have enough torque to cause clutch slip (motorbike oils are non friction modified to allow for the wet clutch- most car oils are friction modified). Bonox is right, you dont need full synthetic (i tried it when i first got the bike and for my purposes noticed no difference). Spend your money on frequent oil changes with good quality oil instead of top shelf synthetic stuff- save that for the 'big' bike heh heh
  4. Thanks guys, I am happy to spend a "bit" on oil, but at the same time don't think I would need to buy Formula 1 rated stuff ;)
  5. Well.. for the oil change I'm going to get I'm using MOTUL 5100 @ 10W40.
    Costs quite a bit tho', $53, but I got the 20% discount, coz I got it at the redwing honda sale...
  6. Just use the standard valvoline stuff, about $16 for 6 liters when its on special.

Its fine for the little tractor, better than what the manual specs.