Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Good DIY Maintenance Course in Melbourne?

Discussion in 'Businesses and Service Providers' at netrider.net.au started by Viker, Apr 5, 2012.

1. There are a number of night courses around where you take your bike in once a week and learn how to maintain it from a proper mechanic in a proper workshop with proper tools.

Can anyone recommend a good one in Melbourne?

My usual orbit is inner north to Glen Waverly and back, but I'll go out of my way for a good course.

2. I know 60 degrees in Notting Hill run a basic maintenance course but I think this only covers the things you need to do between services so it might not be advanced enough for your requirements. Runs for about 3 hours and costs $35.00

3. AThe other option is to rock up to Saturday Learner Practice and speak with Doug.

Usually if you have asomething that needs doing, for example, oil change, oil filter change, chain clean and re-tension, Doug will usually make his garage available and show you how to do it. And let others come and watch and learn.

All you need to do is have a bike that needs something done, consumables (e.g. oil, oil filter or the like) and plenty of notice.

• Like Like x 1
  4.  Top
  5. I have a second-hand bike and need to know what needs to be done. It's a much more open ended question than just changing the oil. It's "Tell me what I don't know and what I don't know I don't know."

6.  Top
  7. It probably isn't. If something is wrong then someone is likely to spot it and tell you.

Unless something obvious is wrong it is probably just a matter of following servicing and maintenance.

For example if a chain is stuffed it needs replacing. If it is not stuffed it doesn't. And we can show you the difference between the two.

Frankly for most people I doubt if paying for a course will give you a better knowledge.

• Like Like x 1
  8. I don't know about other bikes but I just started riding and ride a Suzuki GS500 and I've been able to teach myself by reading the excellent Haynes workshop/DIY manual for it, plus occasionally asking questions of people with expertise when I needed. Apart from that, a few good tools and somewhere to work on it where you can easily leave a job half finished until you're ready to continue. Also I searched and read a lot on the web, and went to the local library and read through every issue of Two Wheels magazine for the last 3+ years. I've found bikers to be pretty generous with assistance and advice. Everyone's different, and by all means do a course if you want to can find one. But without a course, self-study has worked for me.

Plus, what GreyBM said. I was worried about mechanical safety, being more vulnerable on a bike, but now that I've actually done all the basic service myself, I feel more safe than if some workshop had done it, because I've "personally supervised" all the work. It is all really well described in the Haynes book. I'm talking about preventative maintenance here, I'd still take problems to a mechanic, because you need experience to diagnose those.

9. i also recomend a haynes or clymer service book, i have one of each for each bike.

ive only just started doing my own work, but between these and help from a few people/advice, ive done ok so far :)

10.  Top
  11. What about learning to weld on bikes/ trailers

12. My father in law was a welding instructor at RMIT before he retired. One of the tips I got from him was make sure you are on solid ground and have a steady hand.

Think if you are trying to do it on a bike or trailer you might fall off:rofl:

13. pretty good

14. Thanks everyone for your suggestions.

Grey, I can't make next Saturday due to a hangover, but hope to be at the first one in May.

Lipstik, that's a very good point about being able to leave the job halfway through – not something I have at the moment.

(y) Haynes

Twistn, thanks for the Madbiker pointer. I wasn't aware of them.

15. Reviving this thread to see if anyone had heard anything more about the Kangan course. Anyone done it, and how useful was it?
    And Viker, did you have any success?

16. Seconded, But I'm buying a 2T so really keen on finding somewhere that could help me through my first top engine rebuild :)

17. I would still recommend the sixty degrees sessions
    Check out the next one
    Www.sixtydegrees.com au

• Like Like x 1
  18. I'm thinking of doing the Kangan course too. I found it difficult to get specific info about what it covers, but I figure that since it goes for several weeks, a couple of hours each Thursday night, it's definitely going to cover more than the 60 degrees course did.

19. Some members here occasionally hold workshops at their places showing others how to maintain bikes with the regular oil change and chain cleaning.

A lot of us have learnt how to do the maintenance just from searching it online. There are many DIY write ups and videos on YouTube showing thorough step by step instructions for different bike types.

There are some sticky's here: https://netrider.net.au/forums/maintenance-and-servicing.114/

and just follow the service manual's scheduled maintenance and google the instructions as you go.

Unlike cars bikes are very easy to learn and work on!