Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Good course for newish rider to improve skills?

Discussion in 'New Riders and Riding Tips' started by n000b, Mar 22, 2009.

1. I'm a newish rider (got my L's 8 months ago (been on full licence for 3 months now), ridden about 6000-7000km) who likes to go on weekend rides through the twisties.

I would like to go do a day course of some sort to improve my riding, maybe cornering or something? I'm not sure though, I'm not aware of any part of my riding that desperately needs work, so maybe just a general course.

Can anyone recommend a course that would be suited to my sort of level of riding and is located in Melbourne?

2. California superbike school.

Got me a tentative priss dragging knees. :LOL:

They have it at PI, they WILL find areas to improve. Would help to know what you're riding though, superbike school is a cornering school and doesn't teach roadcraft etc. It will just get you confident as hell pulling through corners on good lines with excellent skills.

If you're looking for something more road orientated with focus on roadcraft, i've heard stay upright are pretty good, not sure what they do in melbourne though so might need someone else's opinion.

Btw you have pretty limited experience so maybe an intermediate course could be a bit better. How confident are you around the bends? What do you do when you start running wide or notice crap on the road?
  3. Sorry, I'm riding a CBR250.

Cornering sounds fun, but I should probably do a course on roadcraft etc first (as I obviously can't tell if I'm doing anthing wrong in this area myself). Maybe a course that does a bit of both :cool:

Running wide? Just lean it more of course :p Crap on the road - well, I don't panic if that's what you're getting at, I try to ride through it, I've had to stand it up and cross the road once when there was a crapload of gravel on the road.